Sticky Resin Disaster

Hello all,

I am working on a 6’ 4" rounded pin tail with inspiration taken from the CI Black Beauty. While weighing out my epoxy resin and hardener I poured in approximately double the amount of hardener I should have. I continued my bone-headed activities and went ahead and glassed the deck of the board. I was able to tuck one rail before the resin kicked and went from being workable to a boiling hot goop. I wasn’t able to tuck the other rail and scrape excess resin off (which was a lot) and now 48 hours later the board is still sticky and not sandable. The rest of the board, without excess resin, is tacky but seems to be hardening.

I am wondering if the spots with excess resin will eventually harden so I can sand them off or if there is a solution for this? I cut off the fiberglass from the rail I was unable to tuck and was planning on glassing it separately once I can sand the rest flush. The problem is I cant even scrape the stick resin off with a razor and trying to sand it just turns it into hot gum that delaminates the fiber glass underneath. My knowledge is that an improper resin ratio will never cure but I am very reluctant to scrap this board so any advice would be much appreciated!

Try just peeling off the lamination and completely starting over.

Hey thanks @Tom_Maniaci ! That was my first thought but i was afraid it may pull off large amounts of foam but since It’s PU it shouldn’t be super saturated hopefully. I’ll lyk how it goes.

You could also try pouring some correctly mixed epoxy over the top and seeing if that helps harden it. Then at that point you can grind it back off … a lot of work potentially and still might not work.

@Tom_Maniaci hmmm I think that may work just a risk if the epoxy underneath still doesn’t harden. I think I may try stripping the fiberglass off and starting over on the deck. I have a heat gun that can soften up the already soft resin that may help peel it back?
Luckily this is a personal board and not a customers board hahaha