Straight vs curved channels

What do you call this, where the concaves at the side of the board follow the edge of the board?

How is it different to a concave channel which follows the straight line of the stringer?

(it’s a machado go fish btw)

A reverse edge board. But why does it matter what it’s called? Did you make one yet?

What it’s called, is immaterial. What it DOES? (if anything) Now there’s the question.

Thanks.

I just wanted to read a bit about it before I try to make it. It seems an easy thing to apply to any design but it’s different to what I’ve been trying which is the full length, straight concave centre channel. Perhaps I should ignore it and stay focussed but I can’t help the curiosity. I needed a name to type in the search box. If I search for “reverse edge” I get nothing. All I can find is greenough / Mr. X edgeboards which while interesting, seem to be messing up the rail engagement on the face.

Hydrodynamically these channels do not make sense.

The side fins are made to work when on the rail, lift pointing outwards to the rail.
Now take a look at the image below and transform the flowlines onto the board to have the lift pointing outwards:

You can clearly see that the flowlines will be crossing the channels and not following the channels when the fin is engaged.

I don’t know what this guy want to achieve, but one thing is sure: the channels are disturbing the flow.

I wonder what the rest of the rail shape is like on the board.

I would think this channel paralleling the rails would make the rail feel more engaged at a shallower roll angle. Maybe if the rail shape is otherwise round or soft edged, this could be an effort to combine the features of really hard edged rails and softer rails. Is he trying to make a rail that feels more like a sharp rail but engages or holds like a rounder one?
It’s also interesting to consider that rails are, in turns at speed, usually acting like fully ventilated foils, so ventilation and stall considerations are different if not absent, compared to the considerations for fins…

[Quote]“What do you call this, where the concaves at the side of the board follow the edge of the board?”
[/quote]

Marketing

Nice word for it Lee. Glad to see us still here.
If I wasn’t so uninterested in bothering with pictures of my latest, I’d be stoked to share. Main thing is - I don’t take my camera(phone) into my shop…
Maybe when it’s done…