Stringer Glue-Up?

Did a search on stringer glue and got, No Results Found. :? What the …  Is the search feature broken.

What are you using for glues to glue-up stringers in EPS blanks?  Epoxy, Gorilla glue?

White gorilla glue.

White Gorilla Glue, does it have a specific application name or bottle name?

Have you/anybody ever tried TiteBond III?

Titebond 3 is more of a wood glue, works really well and is waterproof but for foam I always use Gorilla or polyurethane based glue…

Forget the stringer and then you don't have to worry about glue. Stringers are 20th century technology.......

i prefer titebond for a wood stringer glue up in eps.  gorilla tends to push its way into the eps and leaves brown marks around the stringer.  epoxy + microballons works well too.

How much glass you putting on those bad bears?  You using carbon cloth or biax glass?

What kind of ratio are you using for your epoxy/balloon mix?  How difficult is it to sand the glue line?  Phenolic balloons or glass?

Yeah, seems like 3 lb EPS would be porous enough to soak up TiteBond 3 like wood.  Seems like 10 min working time for TB3 is a tad short – Any problems here(?).  Are you leaving unglued buffers/areas around the glue or using complete coverage?  I assume you are applying glue to both surfaces, foam and stringer.

Mahalo

White gorilla glue,or stringerless.

You talking a glue-line down the center instead of a stringer or just a single piece of foam?

MIke…

Yea… I know. But some of us are old…and like it there. Ha!

A single peice of  foam.

[quote="$1"]

[quote="$1"]

Forget the stringer and then you don't have to worry about glue. Stringers are 20th century technology.......

[/quote]

How much glass you putting on those bad bears?  You using carbon cloth or biax glass?

[/quote]

More fiber than anyone else. Biax is kinda old, carbon is kinda stiff.

I hear ya.  Gotta have a little piece of Mother Nature for spine.  I never could get used to glue-line stringers.

Depending on what you’re doing and the stringer material, stringers do offer useful structural support.

Care to offer details/share?

[quote="$1"]

Biax is kinda old, carbon is kinda stiff.

[/quote]

Old? How so?

Regular Gorilla glue on a stringerless EPS leaves a brown line that looks cool. The white GG also works, but it didn't seem to harden as welll as the regular stuff. It stayed kind of rubbery even when it was fully cured, at least in my experience. This created a problem with the mini block plane since it wasn't hard enough to cut.

Keep in mind this was all on a stringerless EPS. The only reason I included the glue line was for a reference point while shaping.

Sorry, can't share fiber/lam schedule/technique. Proprietary technologies are normal in the composites business.

Biax has been around a long time. That makes it old in my book. There's other newer things out there.

I should have just suggested a glue choice, lol...

Red, blue or black pigmented lam resin.  A true glue line.  Done right: stronger than big cell center foam and provides the necessary referance point.  Because there is no wood, PVC or other stringer materlal it can still be condidered stringerless, but is stronger at center than a true "stringerless" blank. (ie no stringer, no glue, no nada).

[quote="$1"]

Sorry, can't share fiber/lam schedule/technique. Proprietary technologies are normal in the composites business.

[/quote]

I expected that answer, proprietary figures.

How about a glue offering to keep you honest. :wink:

So on EPS just use pigmented or unpigmented epoxy then? Probably a dumb question but I might as well ask since we are on the topic.

Also would you seal the inside edges of the two halves with spackle before epoxy and joining together?