styrene in gloss

do you guys add styrene to gloss resin? it already has wax, right?

do you guys add styrene to gloss resin? it already has wax, right? I’m assuming your talking about Styrene wax… no, gloss coat already has it. Anyone use Styrene monomer? I was going to get some then I noticed that the flash point was 85°F… that’s pretty dam low. Figured I’d just use thick resin…

Im assuming your talking about Styrene wax& no, gloss coat already has > it. Anyone use Styrene monomer? I was going to get some then I noticed > that the flash point was 85°F& thats pretty dam low. Figured Id just use > thick resin& Check the flash point on acetone. 0 F. The flash point is the minimum temperature at which a liquid gives off vapor in sufficient concentration to ignite when tested. The test is normaly done with a open flame above the liquid. The liquid is eather heated or cooled, to come up with the flash point. A flash point of 85 F. means that on a normal day you can work with the liquid and it will not even burn.

do you guys add styrene to gloss resin? it already has wax, right? I do add 249a ( 1/3 lam to 2/3 gloss )and a shot of wax to add a little wax for the lam… It thins it out good and it sands out real nice if you sand green. Making polishing easy… Just don’t add to much wax… play with amount till you find what you like. if you don’t add enough you get splits in the wax??.. just something to think about… When building light boards keep it thin. Rob

do you guys add styrene to gloss resin? it already has wax, right? I add approx. 10 to 15% styrene to my gloss jobs, makes them nice and smooth. Aloha, Kokua

I add approx. 10 to 15% styrene to my gloss jobs, makes them nice and > smooth. Aloha, Kokua I’m with Kokua on that one…the resin flows better.I also sand the board to 180 using the new super soft pad.Once long ago I sanded to 100 for a gloss but the other way is better…R.B.

I’m with Kokua on that one…the resin flows better.I also sand the board > to 180 using the new super soft pad.Once long ago I sanded to 100 for a > gloss but the other way is better…R.B. Howzit Mr. Clean, Are you using the Ferro pads? I use them for most of my work plus I’ve altered my older ones for doing rails,noses,tails. I usually go with 100 grit but I think I’ll give the 180 a try on a pretty wild flame board I’m finishing up. Aloha, Kokua

Howzit Mr. Clean, Are you using the Ferro pads? I use them for most of my > work plus I’ve altered my older ones for doing rails,noses,tails. I > usually go with 100 grit but I think I’ll give the 180 a try on a pretty > wild flame board I’m finishing up. Aloha, Kokua Yep I think its a ferro.Blue plastic back and the foam is grey…I’ll check.That pad is a lifesaver…I use it for polishing,first cut 320…cuts the wax and doesnt leave any aggressive scratches.By the way Kokua where is my B.U.S.T. shirt…I will stay on ya…later…R.B.