Sunken fin box fix

Hello everyone,

Managed to hit myself with the fin with such a force that it sunk the fcs fin box in to the foam.  Going to do a home fix, does anyone have any advice? I plan to fill the hole with q-cell and put the fin box back in, then i’m assuming to sand the area down and cover with some new fibreglass?  

Thanks in advance!

That’s one way that a lot of people do it.   Just understand that it was the supporting foam that failed here, not your plug; and you’re pouring a big blob of resin into that

My preference is to rout out an oversized cavity and glue in another piece of foam from an old board.  Preferably an old dead longboard that was build with a higher density foam and is now only suitable as a donor.   You cut the foam plug so if barely fits the cavity and has some excess coming out the top (meaning a 1" deep cavity gets filled with a plug that’s at least 1.25" inches so the excess stands above your glass job).  Glue it in with epoxy or Gorrilla Glue or other similar adhesive.  When that sets, you shape the excess off so the foam plug sits flush with your glassjob, and then glass over it.  THEN install your new FCS plug as normal.    Now you have a regular plug install into “new” foam that has a little extra support at the bottom of the foam insert from the glue, not an irregularly shaped blob of resin.   

It’s FCS.   Why go to all the trouble of pouring filler or replacing the crunched foam.  Over Kill.  Just drill out both plugs with a hole saw and install a Fusion box…  simple fix.  Stronger and easier to do.

…I do not use these plugs nor do repairs but McDing provided a great idea for this case; easier and clean.

Easiest is to pull the plug and pack some fiberglass in the hole before you fill with resin to give the base and sides of the hole more strength. 

Best way is to put a new foam plug in there or install a Fusion box.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I’ll do my best from what you guys have said and let you know how it turns out!