SUP fin for kelpy areas

wondering if any of you had any ideas on what would make a good fin for distance SUP in kelpy areas. it’s a 14’er and i don’t surf it. i want something that won’t get hung up in the kelp too badly and will aid in keeping it going straight.

i’m thinking large and very raked. it will be going into a 10" box. i’m just not sure how big is TOO big.

any input would be appreciated. i searched kelp fins, but that looked like it was more toward actual surfing where turns would be required. since there’s no surfing on the SUP, there really are no turns required - would that make size a non issue???

anything you guys have to offer would be great. thanks

jp

Keep this on the down low…I don’t want any of my friends to know I’m helping a SUPer.

Deep fins, deep trouble. Try shallow long base fins, something like a bonzer side bites. Put three in a reverse thruster setup, no toe no cant. 4-5 inches deep. Long base will give you stability. You might have to adust the depth to compensate for tail rocker.

This kind of set up worked at low tide Hook back in the proto twin fin days. The boards would surf ok as long as you didn’t try to turn them. But they would just zip over the patties.

P.S. You’ll have to make the fins yourself and then glass them on or install a couple more boxes…It seems I might not helped much after all.

Regular paddle board fins can be much smaller and still keep the board on track.

check out rainbow fins website, they have a template for sup they call the “explorer”, and they describe it as designed for kelpy areas.

Maybe this idea seed…

9" base x 5.25" high…

Made for a 12’ narrow surfboard…

Worked great at late summer,low tide Cojo…Wherever that is…???..

Taking it to another level…

Fabricate a true razor edge on the leading edge…

Just a thought…