SUP without wide glass?

OK, so I effectively inherited a few SUP EPS blanks, 1.5 pound variety. I have never shaped a SUP, ever. However, in light of this recent acquisition, I think I’ll hack one out. But I only have hundreds of feet of 27" and 30" wide glass. Asking the experts here: Can I successfully get away with just overlapping layers in different sections or do I splurge for some more manly SUP width glass? Right now I’m thinking just overlap the glass, NBD. But I am sure there are better minds out there regarding this situation.

Thanks.

How wide is your SUP gonna be?

I think you have a couple of ways to go. I’ve done both successfully. You can rotate the 30 inch about 20 degrees and use two layers of glass to do it. You will get enough width to cover the rails with one layer. Your lam stack will have to add up to your desired ounces of cloth. Or you can over lap about 25 inches in the middle and keep the warp yarns parallel to the stringer. Again you’ll get one layer of glass on the rails. You can make some adds and adjustments to suit your needs. But you get the picture.

All the best

I’ve made a couple and seen lots and if it were me, I would bite the bullet and get the wide stuff. You are gonna want to have at least 2 full layers deck wrapped and the same for the bottom, giving around 24 oz. on the rail. The rails will literally get beat to death by the paddle over the life of the board and due to the size of the thing, get dropped more than once while carrying, putting on racks, etc. usually with rail impacts. If you decide to follow Greg’s advice (good too), buy some of the rail tape. Just my 2c…

Love the idea of diagonolling the glass with overlaps. However I think I’m going to buy enough wide 40" glass to do the trick because I can see myself leaving a gap and getting some funky creases happening on the deck or on the bottom. I also agree with the extra glass on the rails. That sold me.

Thanks for the assistance!

42" is probably best and easiest; but 38" on a 32" wide board will still get you there. You just won’t have the extra to go wide on top and bottom. Thickness of the board is a big consideration.