"Surf Boards by Jacobs" #291 Help

Hap got his Tradmark given back to him a few years ago during a ceremony held when SHACC had the Jacobs exhibit.   

Maybe, but it is currently registered to Skip Beall May 1996, was renewed in 2010 .  Listed as “Sportswear”; T-Shirts, Sweats etc.  No mention of surfboards excerpt for the logo itself.  He submitted an example of the art and font and gave a written description.  Just do a Tess simple “word” search at USPTO website and you will see what I mean.   Maybe Beall granted him the use of it for surfboards only.  It is a “live” (ie “Active”)registration.

Legally as far as my limited knowledge goes;  you can abandoned  a TM, let it expire and therefore it becomes “dead” Or  it can be renewed or reregistered after expiration by the previous owner or a new applicant.  I’ve never attempted to transfer ownership nor add someone to the ownership of a mark, but I’m sure there must be a legal process through the USPTO office that would provide for that.  In this case that was never done. What your referring to was most likely ceremonial and a “gentleman’s agreement”.

It also included a check for a large sum.  

A consideration not a legal change.

Etc.

Pic cut off the bottom of the page.  A renewal is good for ten years at a whack if you stay on it.  Lots of people don’t.  First time around I used an attorney.  No need after that, easily done by following directions on the site.

Pretty sure this is the guy that sits at the computer waiting for iconic logos to expire and then snaps them up;  ie “Longboards Rule”.  Which I was using on a T- Shirt design ten years before he TM’ed the words “Longbords Rule”.  They were just words to me.  If he had stolen my art though I woulda been pissed.

Quite a few unregistered and previously registered labels that have expired(ie Abandoned or Dead) out there…  I’m sure there are predators lurking nearby too.