Surf Rx Single fin

I have a 6’10 surf Rx single fin board with a diamond tail. Recently I found a website called “clips equipment”…a Japanese website that had my board with a 2+1 set up. Would it be possible to have fcs plugs put in and have the same cosmetics and strength as if they were factory? It has blue resin tint glass. Also, the fin it came with was a 7.5" true ames fin that looks like the same shape as the RFC “wingnut long rake” fin. Is this a good match for this board? I can pick a good fin for a longboard, but I am lost when it comes to sub 9’ boards. Would a longer flex fin work better? Any suggestions would help…Thanks! http://www.surfprescriptions.com/SingleFins.htm

I have a 6’10 surf Rx single fin board with a diamond tail. Recently I > found a website called “clips equipment”…a Japanese website > that had my board with a 2+1 set up. Would it be possible to have fcs > plugs put in and have the same cosmetics and strength as if they were > factory? It has blue resin tint glass.>>> Also, the fin it came with was a 7.5" true ames fin that looks like > the same shape as the RFC “wingnut long rake” fin. Is this a > good match for this board? I can pick a good fin for a longboard, but I am > lost when it comes to sub 9’ boards. Would a longer flex fin work better? > Any suggestions would help…Thanks! Slingblade, I just bought a Lauren Yater 7’ single fin board with a rounded pin. I am in the same position as you are…wondering if I have the right fin. The fin that came with mine is a True Ames 8.25" with a wide base. I am thinking of going to a 8" True Ames L-Flex fin. Maybe it will give me more snap off the bottom, but it seems like the current fin gives me some nice speed down the line that I might not get with a narrower fin base like the L-Flex. Like you too I know what fin works for my 9’4" but it’s more challenging when picking for a shorter board.

Slingblade,>>> I just bought a Lauren Yater 7’ single fin board with a rounded pin. I am > in the same position as you are…wondering if I have the right fin. The > fin that came with mine is a True Ames 8.25" with a wide base. I am > thinking of going to a 8" True Ames L-Flex fin. I have a 7’4 speed shape round pin and I was using a 8" Norm Flex this summer. Lots of fun in smaller and softer surf. Took it out last month in some overhead and more powerful conditions and it was a disaster - no bite, no drive, hard to control the board. I’m sure moving the fin back would help, but maybe not enough. So I’m still working on this one too, but I think I need more base or less flex. I thought Halcyon’s recommendations looked good a few weeks back, and as I recall KP was happy with a 9" L-flex on a smaller egg. I’ll try my Greenough 4c in there before I buy another fin, but I think that might have a little more pivot than drive, that’s how it felt in my eggy 7’0. Hope this helps- Ride on, Dan

I have a 7’4 speed shape round pin and I was using a 8" Norm Flex > this summer. Lots of fun in smaller and softer surf. Took it out last > month in some overhead and more powerful conditions and it was a disaster > - no bite, no drive, hard to control the board. I’m sure moving the fin > back would help, but maybe not enough. So I’m still working on this one > too, but I think I need more base or less flex. I thought Halcyon’s > recommendations looked good a few weeks back, and as I recall KP was happy > with a 9" L-flex on a smaller egg. I’ll try my Greenough 4c in there > before I buy another fin, but I think that might have a little more pivot > than drive, that’s how it felt in my eggy 7’0. Hope this helps->>> Ride on, Dan Just a few thoughts-- A Greenough 4c is a great choice. The Liddle L-flex isn’t much of a power fin though few are faster and it happens to be one of my favorites. However I think you’ll find this one at about 8.0"-9.0" – http://www.rainbowfins.com/rusty.jpg will out perform either. It’s fast, snappy and has plenty of drive. I have a few templates that I think can compete with these if anyone interested. Placing the “right” fin when your riding single whether on a shortboard, hybrid, or longboard is always a challenge. Depending on the board fining to give the combination of drive and release you’re need for various conditions usually requires at least two fins and setting the one you chose in the right place for the day. You can even put a blob of wax on the nose with a dime in it so you can move the fin around without coming in. There’s even a special quick-change arrangement available but frankly it seems a little over kill to me. Just an aside-- It’s a lot of work but I’m mid stream in developing a modified starfin that I think will prove a very interesting option, as it will release much better than the original. In the end it will have to be molded if it is to be marketed as it is very time consuming to build. Nothing drives like a starfin, some of my best rides have been with one. It has a feel all its own. It nose rides great, is extremely fast on a hybrid and obviously works great on a 5’6" which is what Cheyne rides to this day in anything up to about 8 feet. However it’s worthless in kelp and is anything but loose. Mahalo, Rich

Thanks Rich. Good input as usual on fins. I’ve been using little stainless thumb screws for in the water adjustments. Like the wonderbolt but $1 each. www.mcmaster.com, search for thumb screws> thumb screws> spade head, 8-32 x 3/4". Cheap and they work great. I put a washer between the fin and the spade head. Sticking a dime on board a good idea too. Dan

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I am looking for an all round all conditions fin for this board. What about the fcs plugs? can they be put in and be the same as if the board was built with them? It has a blue resin tint, I want it to look clean. Thanks http://www.surfprescriptions.com/SingleFins.htm

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I am looking for an all round all > conditions fin for this board.>>> What about the fcs plugs? can they be put in and be the same as if the > board was built with them? It has a blue resin tint, I want it to look > clean.>>> Thanks Hey Blade, All conditions?-- Rusty Flex would be my choice of what’s on the market. Or one mine either the “Mental” or the “Luxe.” I just retro fitted a ‘75 vintage 7’0" winged swallow of mine with a center box and future rail boxes and it looks like the board was made with them in it. Take your stick to a local shop that has the jig set ups and have them route it out for either Futures or RedX. You’ll have a lot more surfboard when you’re done believe me. Go FCS if you want to, but as far as I’m concerned the system is junk. Their coming out with a new one next year I’ve heard. It’s about time! Email me if you’d like to see a photo of the board I retro fitted or the templates I’ve mentioned at Good Surfin’, Rich

All conditions?-- Rusty Flex would be my choice of what’s on the market. > Or one mine either the “Mental” or the “Luxe.”>>> I just retro fitted a ‘75 vintage 7’0" winged swallow of mine with a > center box and future rail boxes and it looks like the board was made with > them in it.>>> Take your stick to a local shop that has the jig set ups and have them > route it out for either Futures or RedX. You’ll have a lot more surfboard > when you’re done believe me. Go FCS if you want to, but as far as I’m > concerned the system is junk. Their coming out with a new one next year > I’ve heard. It’s about time! Email me if you’d like to see a photo of the > board I retro fitted or the templates I’ve mentioned at > >>> Good Surfin’, Rich You are right to worry about the blue tint. If the job is not done right you will end up with a white spot every place that is messed up. I go with what Rich is saying go to a a good shop, and have them do the work. Since most of the work is going to be done without having to do any sanding on the board you should be ok. Good luck let us know how it comes out. Bagman

I have a 6’10 surf Rx single fin board with a diamond tail. Recently I > found a website called “clips equipment”…a Japanese website > that had my board with a 2+1 set up. Would it be possible to have fcs > plugs put in and have the same cosmetics and strength as if they were > factory? It has blue resin tint glass.>>> Also, the fin it came with was a 7.5" true ames fin that looks like > the same shape as the RFC “wingnut long rake” fin. Is this a > good match for this board? I can pick a good fin for a longboard, but I am > lost when it comes to sub 9’ boards. Would a longer flex fin work better? > Any suggestions would help…Thanks! From consideration of my experience with 6-10 to 7-6 rounded pin singles, and presuming you’ve played around with placement in the box: If you don’t want to change the overall quality of the ride, just the quantity of what you’re getting, go with more or less size in the same fin shape, i.e. rake and base. Change the ride quality by changing shape, then size and stiffness. What I have found to generally work best for me(5’11, 180-85 lbs)in this board size range is an 8-8.5" stiff, low-med rake, 5.5" base. Unable to comment on FCS, I specify Futures for my boards.

From consideration of my experience with 6-10 to 7-6 rounded pin singles>>> What I have found to generally work best for me(5’11, 180-85 lbs)in this > board size range is an 8-8.5" stiff, low-med rake, 5.5" base. Good thoughts. The suggestions of fins in the ~8" range for the boards mentioned, I take it that’s a good starting point for running as a single. If you add side fins of approx 3.5" do you feel that becomes too much fin and the center fin should be downsized? Rich and others- do you think a Cal Classic or Rusty flex should be ~7" inches if running 2+1, or does a larger fin feel okay in either arrangement? A little less base generally better with the side fins, no? Thanks! Looks like this tread can save some of us a lot of trial and error. Ride On, Dan

Good thoughts. The suggestions of fins in the ~8" range for the > boards mentioned, I take it that’s a good starting point for running as a > single.>>> If you add side fins of approx 3.5" do you feel that becomes too much > fin and the center fin should be downsized? Rich and others- do you think > a Cal Classic or Rusty flex should be ~7" inches if running 2+1, or > does a larger fin feel okay in either arrangement? A little less base > generally better with the side fins, no? Thanks! Looks like this tread can > save some of us a lot of trial and error.>>> Ride On, Dan Dan, You’re right about the fin suggestions being that of a single fin application. More fin = more drag & sometimes more performance and sometimes less. I think the 2 to 1 idea is misleading though it can be a perfect combination on some boards. I’ve found on my 9’0" that 4 to 1 works much better and 3 to 1 works great on my 9’2". The conditions and how your board is configured dictate what will work the best. So there are many variables to consider of course. Here are a couple of examples: I’ll use my “Speed Platter” 8’0”x17”x21.25”x15.5”x3” rounded pin 4.25” nose rocker, 2” tail rocker as an example. When I surf this board single it needs at least 8" of fin and frankly a standard single like the ones in my thoughts above in this thread just don’t get it for me at least, but it’ll fly with a starfin on it at the beach breaks and the river mouth. I’ve experimented with lots of fin combinations on the board and have ended up with 4" rails and a 6" center all of my own template and all the fins are cutaways as they release so well at low speed and hold just fine once you get going. The center is has a fairly wide central profile and a tapered tip. I move the center forward and back depending on how big the surf is. This set up is 1.5 to 1 and I don’t think adding a bigger fin to the middle would do much but slow things down. The board is very drivey and light on the water. Accelerate is what this board does best of all as the rails are fairly hard and the bottom is single to double concave. I only surf it when there is little or no chop on the water, as it likes to hydroplane. Ever board needs something a little different under it to reach maximum performance it would seem. As you add fin size you add drag and the more toe they have and the bigger you rail fins are the sharper you can turn because the work against the forward progress of the board more as this increases. Mahalo, Rich

I dont mean to re-direct this back to my 1st post, but Can someone check out the link below, and imagine this board being 6’10, and give me an idea for a fin? I was watching DOGTOWN and ZBOYS and saw that Jeff Ho had many shapes much like my RX single…I noticed that the fins in them were like old school rainbow fins…very short with a wide base. Sometimes I wish all fins were glass on and It would save me tons of stress…It is the worst feeling being in the water with a fin that is to small and doesnt hold on hard turns…and the waves are great…aaarrrggghhh!!! http://www.surfprescriptions.com/SingleFins.htm

I dont mean to re-direct this back to my 1st post, but Can someone check > out the link below, and imagine this board being 6’10, and give me an idea > for a fin? I was watching DOGTOWN and ZBOYS and saw that Jeff Ho had many > shapes much like my RX single…I noticed that the fins in them were like > old school rainbow fins…very short with a wide base. Sometimes I wish > all fins were glass on and It would save me tons of stress…It is the > worst feeling being in the water with a fin that is to small and doesnt > hold on hard turns…and the waves are great…aaarrrggghhh!!! 7.5" Rusty flex for power or 8.0" Liddle L-flex for speed.

Hey …thanks guys…I have the settings all messed up for swaylocks, and didnt read all of your posts. Thanks all…I will keep you all posted on how it turns out. I wanted fcs cuz I have so many boards that are fcs already, and a surplus of fins. I like the redX fins, but I dont want my board to have a hole through the deck. As far as the tint, I have noticed that a lot of ding repairs I see have bright white mess all over the place looking very bad. I hope to have them put in looking like halcyon described. Thanks …you guys are the best! Thank you for everything! http://www.surfprescriptions.com/SingleFins.htm

7.5" Rusty flex for power or 8.0" Liddle L-flex for speed. For my 8’ Jacobs Hybrid I am starting to use O’Fishl SS model thruster set, which is the two side fins being 4 3/4" and the middle being 4.5. These have great hold, but still give me nice turning ability and good speed in trim. They drag a little when paddling but the performance of them outweighs that. I tried the O’Fishl carbon series and these fins were a little too loose and I ended up cutting myself on these once since they are quite sharp. Have tried the Pro Tecks but they seem to lack drive out of the turn. Really like the SS model. What is the purpose of having side fins slightly larger than the middle fin? Any other fin recommendations for thruster sets?

For my 8’ Jacobs Hybrid I am starting to use O’Fishl SS model thruster > set, which is the two side fins being 4 3/4" and the middle being > 4.5. These have great hold, but still give me nice turning ability and > good speed in trim. They drag a little when paddling but the performance > of them outweighs that. I tried the O’Fishl carbon series and these fins > were a little too loose and I ended up cutting myself on these once since > they are quite sharp. Have tried the Pro Tecks but they seem to lack drive > out of the turn. Really like the SS model. What is the purpose of having > side fins slightly larger than the middle fin? Any other fin > recommendations for thruster sets? Jacobs makes great boards! Is it a 211? As you reduce the size of the center fin the board loosens up from rail to rail and tail also will loosen up on steeper walls. the board will turn quicker and maybe a little sharper. You loose some holding power but you can compensate by increasing the rail fin size I believe that fooling around with fin combinations can help your surfing but I’m sure lots of people would differ with that opinion. I’m experimenting with deep double foiled rail fins and a very small central stabilizer on a few of my hybrids. It has a completely different feel than a standard twin, twinzer or thruster set up. I think it has much potential. Time will tell. Can’t wait 'till the surf cleans up! Mahalo, Rich

…Gerson’s across from Foam E-Z can do the FCS job right,just tell him Herb Sent you,and he’ll treat you right. …As far as holes in boards go, Fcs go all the way thru to the deck too,that where the strength is,but fcs is nowhere as strong as Red-X,NOT EVEN CLOSE!Herb

Jacobs makes great boards! Is it a 211? As you reduce the size of the > center fin the board loosens up from rail to rail and tail also will > loosen up on steeper walls. the board will turn quicker and maybe a little > sharper. You loose some holding power but you can compensate by increasing > the rail fin size I believe that fooling around with fin combinations can > help your surfing but I’m sure lots of people would differ with that > opinion. I’m experimenting with deep double foiled rail fins and a very > small central stabilizer on a few of my hybrids. It has a completely > different feel than a standard twin, twinzer or thruster set up. I think > it has much potential. Time will tell. Can’t wait 'till the surf cleans > up!>>> Mahalo, Rich Thanks Rich. It is a 211. An amazing board. It’s funny…I know some people who have ridden it and don’t like it, and I’ve met some others who just rave about it. To each his own…

Thanks Herb…as far as Red X, I want to keep the vintage look…so the holes in the top of the deck are out of the question. I was watching “morning of the earth”…and noticed that those boards are much like my RX single…I need a 70’s shaped fin for that board real bad!! I have an oldschool rainbow fin that may be to short…7.5"…These single fin boards shorter than 9’ drive me nuts with the fin questions!!

Thanks Herb…as far as Red X, I want to keep the vintage look…so the > holes in the top of the deck are out of the question.>>> I was watching “morning of the earth”…and noticed that those > boards are much like my RX single…I need a 70’s shaped fin for that > board real bad!! I have an oldschool rainbow fin that may be to > short…7.5"…These single fin boards shorter than 9’ drive me nuts > with the fin questions!! ,…I have a old green fiberglass Brewer you can have, it’s the typical wide based fin that’s 8" deep.Herb