Surf Scene in South Carolina, wassup?

I’m considering a visit to the Charleston area, this fall?      I have some deep family roots there, some were signers of the US Constitution.      What’s going on back there, surf wise?     Are there any local shops worth visiting? 

EDIT:    Also interested in some good seafood, and the best possible fried chicken!      What say you?

Definitely you gotta hit up Mckevlins been out on folly beach since 1965. The surf is mainly centered around the washout(puchy fun beach break) and the pier (nice mellow longboard waves) both on folly. A few shapers around and a few classic guys that would love to talk story with you im sure. Plenty of good food all over the charleston area. You pretty much can’t go wrong visiting charleston in the fall even if you don’t score waves. 

Aloha Deez,

McKevlins was a Surf Systems dealer, from 1969 to 1971, when I closed the surfboard shop.     The elder Mr. McKevlin, was a childhood friend of my aunt, who recently passed away, at age 100.       So, you bet, I’ll make sure to contact McKevlins, when I’m back there.      The world is a smaller place than most of us realize, eh?      Thank you for the heads-up about McKevlins.

I lived there for about 15 years before moving back to FL.  Loved it.  I would move back to Charleston tomorrow if I could.  We go back a couple times a year to see friends.  You won’t have any trouble finding a great meal there.  There are a bunch of new places on upper King Street.  Some of the top ones on my list around town are:

Lewis’s (BBQ)

The Quality

Otis’s Fried CHicken and Oysters (upper king st)

McCrady’s

The Fig

Hall’s Chop House.

I know people who will drive 100 miles to Charleston for the sole purpose of eating dinner there.  Stay away from any place that advertizes “We were voted #1 for…”

All the best

Most food is good in Charleston.  Try Hank’s for seafood.  A bit pricey, but worth it.