Surf Systems kneeboard ?

Now that is a fascinating piece of history of that period. I rarely ever get any feedback about the ‘‘travels’’ of individual boards. When we decided to make the Kneeboards, it was not to really make a market for the product, but to demonstrate that we had the skill to make ANY kind of wave craft. Showing off, if you will. We made each of the six boards a different color. I recall that one was Beige. Most likely the one that you obtained. Thank you for sharing that piece of history.

Thanks for the background info (and bringing back memories)!

I was rooting around in the garage this morning, and came across what I believe is the template for the above discussed kneeboard.

I can’t be sure until I measure it. Be glad to share the template with you, if you’re interested.

Hi Bill - I appreciate you posting the pics for me to see. Perhaps they could be scanned at hi-res? this sort of info should be written about in TSJ - this whole story is so cool. The names and history of those involved really is fantastic. Thanks to everyone for your help on this. Bill - do I have permission from you to use these pics in my re-listing for ebay? Is that YOU in the picture with the board? What year did you say this was made? 1969? Thanks again, Frank

Rather than relisting on ebay, why don’t you consider donating it to the Surfing Heritage Foundation and taking a generous tax deduction? This is the kind of stuff they like to keep track of… and with all the supporting collateral… compelling peice.

Frank,

I’m going to have a print of the photo made for you, and provide a letter on original Surf Systems stationary about the board, as well as an original price list from 1969. Feel free to use the photo on eBay. I have your address. The board was made in 1969. Yikes! That was 38yrs ago! Aloha.

Sticky topic amigo - Hard to take tax deductions when you “cant”… I work overseas. Dont ask. :wink:

We have a pretty penny invested, and need to sell it. Thats what prompted all this work in the first place. I have to tell you that we are thrilled to learn who, what, when, where and why…

I suppose that whoever buys it could donate it?

… mum’s the word

Greetings Bill - from Costa Rica!

Our daughter was born here last May and we are working on our rental property now. I never did get to thank you publicly for sending us the documentation on our kneeboard. We absolutely love the board, and finding the TRUTH about it really makes us happy! Isn’t the internet great?

If you ever want to come to Costa Rica, our place is yours! (at least for a week) :~)

Stay in touch and THANK YOU for your efforts!

Frank Kalana

http://casakalana.com

Frank,

Thank you for the ‘‘public thank you.’’ I’m glad that the stuff I sent brought you some pleasure. I’d like to visit CR sometime. I’ll keep in touch.

Bill, if I may ask, could this be one of your six? The color and fin look to be original.

mdm,

The colors on the original six ‘‘Knee Machines’’ were RED, BLUE, YELLOW, GREEN, BEIGE,  and MAUVE.     If you compare the tail of your board, with the one in the photo in post #16, you’ll see that yours is wider.     The bright orange color on your board was not one of the original colors.     The decal is authentic to 1969, and only used for a short period of time.     I believe what you have there is a Knee Machine that was bootlegged out of the factory (after hours) by one of the glassers, who is now deceased.    I was told he was doing it  several years later.      He had a key to the factory, so he ‘’ could come in @ 4 am to get a head start on prep.‘’     This is the first proof I’ve seen that verifies that  the reported bootlegging  actually happened.   Sorry to  be the bearer of disappointing news.    On the bright side, it’s well made, and may perform better than the originals, which needed larger waves to work well.

Bill

Incredible history. 

thank you Mr Thrailkill 

Love the story, Bill

Aloha from Costa Rica!!! I just acquired another old board and it reminded me that I still have this kneeboard from Bill Thrailkill in the USA. I kept it afterall but if someone is genuinely interested in buying it (don’t know if this is permitted here) but if it is you can delete this posting. Here are some photos of it, its in exactly the condition you see. From the thread, Bill validated it and this is one of the three known models of six he made. Enjoy a bit of surf history at the very least.

1 Like