Surf Systems kneeboard ?

There’s a Surf Systems kneeboard currently on Ebay. It looks just like a Greenough

“Velo” type spoon. The only info I can find on the Surf Systems label is that it was

from the N County SD area. I found two ads from the late Sixties, that give either

a Solana Beach or Cardiff address.

Anyone know more about Surf Systems?

The Ebay listing is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Unusual-GREENOUGH-Vintage-Surfboard-Kneeboard-1970s_W0QQitemZ130074715582QQihZ003QQcategoryZ114253QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Something to consider: George has never liked sharp pointed noses on his boards…

Molds for Greenough spoons:

http://flexspoon.com/flex/edge-molds

TonyM,

Surf Systems was my company. I’m responsible for the Kneeboard. As I recall, we only made six of them. What is the color of the one you refer to?

TonyM,

I checked the listing you posted. I don’t think that is the original fin, and the board was built in 1969, NOT 1962.

Thraillkill,

as the original shaper, what is this board realistically worth, being that it isn’t the original fin/glass job? and what monetary difference would there be if it was the original fin/glass job and in good shape?

just curious as i have a spoon on the market myself

Jamie

Jamie,

The kneeboards originally sold for $100.00, in 1969. The fin on that particular board is deeper, and has a longer base, than the original. I’m of the opinion that it is a better setup than the original fin. I don’t think the referb harms the value in any way. As to the value in the marketplace today-----it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. There were only six to begin with. Besides this one, I’m aware of only two others in existance.

My friend had a “Greek Spoon” in the early seventies.

Does anybody recall/know anything about these?

price is way too much.if you want a “real” spoon, i’ll sell you mine for 4K…

Yep Matt,

You are right, the price is… what?.. INSANE? Yep. For those interested in some Surf Systems history. The factory was where the Belly Up Tavern is now, and the showroom was located where the Kraken restaurant in Cardiff is. In my opinion, Matt, it IS a ‘‘real spoon.’’

Aloha Folks!

No I havent lost my marbles (yet) - just following all the paths that have also led me to this thread. I am the owner of the board on ebay and the price is what I was told to list it at because it costs a fortune to make a reserve, etc. I just want to know the facts about the board, and it is turning out to be very controversial to say the least. I dont NEED the money, what I WANT is the facts. I bought this board back in 1990 on a purely speculative intuition, and at the time, I really liked it. I still do. I have never ridden it (but have been tempted to say the least on more than one occasion!) I have the waves for it right out in my front yard. I have a house in Playa Negra, Costa Rica, 250 yds from the best right in Central America, but I dont want to break it on the drop! If there IS a way to definitively prove who made that board…PLEASE tell me what you can send to me to authenticate it! And if anyone else has a board like this - I would LOVE to compare notes and photos!! This is what collecting surfboards - or any other passion - is all about, finding out the history. Thats the stage of the game I am at. My brother says to sell it. I am not that motivated. Please get in touch if you can really help. fkalana at hotmail will do just fine. Thanks for all your discussion and leads!

CRsurfbum,

I’m at a loss to understand what the ‘‘controversy’’ is. Surf Systems was my company. What is it you don’t understand? The decal that is imbedded in the glass says SURF SYSTEMS. It is a Surf Systems Knee Machine, as we called them at the time. It was constructed in the winter of 1969. There were six of them made. Counting your board, I have become aware of three of them in the past five years. If you beg me, I can send you a statement on ORIGINAL Surf Systems stationary. Contact me with your real name and address. Send along your phone number, if you would like to talk to me. Will that be authentic enough?

spoons shouldn’t be collected and locked up in the zoo. it’s great to appreciate the history of a board. use it as an example to build a new one, then go ride both of them to see the differences. if you appreciate riding waves, you’ll enjoy spoon riding. there’s not much else like it in the world. the magic towel is probably the next evolution, but the ride on a good spoon (as you have in mr. thrailkill’s work) in a good central american hollow point wave will blow your mind and your perceptions of foam board surfing.

ride it at least once before you sell it

Hi Bill - its not ME that is confused, you should see my email box. Posting this board has brought out more speculations, adorations and accusations than I care to mention. I think its FANTASTIC if you ARE the one who made this board!!! Mystery solved!!! I would appreciate any documentation and information you can send my way. I left my email on the previous thread, but its here - fkalana at hotmail dot com. Its cool to know that there is half your “babies” coming out to find you! As I said, I think its great to know YOU are the man, that is authentic enough for me! Frank Kalana - P.S. Can you write to my email address and i will send you a reply with all the contact info. Pura Vida!

Frank,

This is your lucky day. I have found an original Surf Systems price list from 1969. The first item on the list is Knee Machine $100.00

Hi Bill -

That is fantastic news! I am going to relist the board next week with all of the facts you have provided me. I will also reduce the price so I can cut my email box flames in half. ;~) I will be in contact on Monday. My wife and I had a great laugh last night when we realized that today is Super Bowl Sunday - neither of us thought about that when we made these listings. We are usually at the beach and have no interest in mass media anything. If I dont sell the board, maybe you could come down to CR and take it for a ride? (then again, we saw a pic of you! Did they call you goliath in the lineup?) LoL. Seriously, I want to ask you a few more questions, and I will send you some detailed pics to help answer them IF you need to.

1 -The glass on the board appears to be (and most have stated outright) a re-glass. What was the original color and finish on it?

2 -I cannot imagine that the fin is NOT the original. The fit and finish to the seam is so perfect and there are no signs of breakage, or removal, or glass cracks, that would have to be evident in the breakage or removal of the original fin. I have snapped fins off my old 60’s and 70’s era boards and have seen the resulting damage to the foam and surrounding glass. The glass around the fin is so clear and the weave in the glass is completely intact. I am not countering your statement, just saying that even on the closest of inspections, it just appears original.

Thanks again to everyone who got me to this site, and to be sure, the next time you see the board - it will CLEARLY be labeled as THRAILKILL!!

Mahalo nui loa! Frank Kalana

If I’m going to send some of the above to you, I’m going to need you to send me your address. You have my e-mail address.

Bill asked me to post these for him as he didn’t have a means to digitize them:

Quote:

CRsurfbum,

I’m at a loss to understand what the ‘‘controversy’’ is. Surf Systems was my company. What is it you don’t understand? The decal that is imbedded in the glass says SURF SYSTEMS. It is a Surf Systems Knee Machine, as we called them at the time. It was constructed in the winter of 1969. There were six of them made. Counting your board, I have become aware of three of them in the past five years. If you beg me, I can send you a statement on ORIGINAL Surf Systems stationary. Contact me with your real name and address. Send along your phone number, if you would like to talk to me. Will that be authentic enough?

Did you sell, or did one of these six boards get sold, through Caster’s (Castor’s?) surf shop in PB?

Thanks.

mtb

Terry,

Phil Castignolas’ ‘‘Select Surf Shop’’ sold boards for me, as well as Bill Caster. I don’t remember if I had Phil sell one of those boards for me or not. I may have put one there on consignment. One was sold out of the Surf & Sea shop in OB. (the one in the photo with me) I’m sure we sold one or two out of our Cardiff showroom. Where the others went, I don’t remember.

Quote:

Terry,

Phil Castignolas’ ‘‘Select Surf Shop’’ sold boards for me, as well as Bill Caster. I don’t remember if I had Phil sell one of those boards for me or not. I may have put one there on consignment. One was sold out of the Surf & Sea shop in OB. (the one in the photo with me) I’m sure we sold one or two out of our Cardiff showroom. Where the others went, I don’t remember.

Bill,

I bought a board around 1969 from a shop in PB (could be either Phil’s or Caster’s) that looked identical (in planform and forward pigment design) to your picture that Keith posted (above). As best I recall, the color on the forward portion was sort of a “tanish” beige (but I’m not 100% sure).

The objective was to compare a “Greenough style” board with the boards that I was building at the time. To recover some of the cost, I made a mold of the bottom of the board, then sold it. Then I built a board out of the mold (and gave the mold to Stan Pleskunas and Steve Lis as they wanted to try riding it in the snow).

The copy had less foam in the nose and the rails (assist duck diving deeper at Blacks)–and after a few trials, I made some changes to the roundish rails (via the addition of “edges”). I still have this board (see pic, taken 4/26/2005 although it is presently on loan to the person in the pic). To compare the two boards, I printed these two pics after scaling the images so that both boards had the same printed length. Then I cut out the outlines and overlaid them. At least with respect to planform they are identical (within the uncertainty associated with the fuzzy focus of the one picture) so I’m pretty sure it was one of yours.

mtb