SURFBOARD FINISHING

I AM LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON GETTING A GLOSS FINISH ON FIBERGLASS POLYESTER AND EXPOXY ON SURFBOARDS.

VIDEOS OR BOOKS OR JUST HELPFULL INFORMATION.

THANKS!!

Howzit gwg828, The archives is full of info on this subject so you should check it. There is way to much info to try and reply with all of it.Aloha,Kokua

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!! ALOA!!

check out the thread “where is my polishing god when i need him” in the general discussion, theres tons of good info there

You could save yourself a lot of headaches (particularly if you are new to this or are making a one off) by finishing in a 2 pack automotive or clear urethane finish. Prepare the filler coat (hotcoat) to 600grit wet and spray it. If you get the local paint shop to do it in a booth there will be no rubbing back or polishing! EASY!

Hi Guys:

Recently I showed a sudden interest in surf sports.

Any idea where can i go to if i am in shanghai to pick up the sports.

Am new & know nuts about it so what should i look out for in this sports?

Cheers

Curious

Hi Neal,

do you use spray with a gloss finish or matte

do you then wetsand the spray and then polish?

im trying to find a nice finish for epoxy, and thought of doing it with spray (matte), and thought of trying to wetsand the spray and then polish, but havent tried it yet to see results

any suggestions?

its faster and cheaper to do a poly gloss

hi Paul,

you suggest doing a poly gloss on an epoxy boards will give better results than using a 2 part acrylic spray?

for some reason i dont feel confident in using poly on my epoxy boards even though i have done it before it still doesnt

feel right.

i started my way in surfboards with repair, and can say that i have repaired a few thousand ithink, and doing poly on epoxy

always make me think that in the future when you will want to make a repair, there will be problems on getting a nice surface, and there is a chance that the poly will start to chip and, i dont know i didnt get to fix epoxy with poly gloss, but just a feeling.

anyways wouldnt it be better to find an alternartive and not mix both resins together, at the end of the day nothing shines like poly, but the board is epoxy, so need to find the way

hey abens

this is some facts

a finish coat on a cured and sanded board is a mechanical bond (not chemical)

so epoxy has a superior mechanical bonding so its will be a more durable finish coat on any board

however

a polyester finish coat over a sanded and cured epoxy or polyester board is still a mechanical bond

so poly over epoxy is just as good as poly over poly

answer

polyester finish coat over a cured and sanded epoxy board is as good as a polyester finish coat over a polyester board

the epoxy must be fully cured or it can make the bond weaker as it reacts chemicaly with the polyester

if it cured however the epoxy is relatively inert

meaning it wont react with the finish

its faster and less hassle to use then spray gear and far less toxic wrt airborne VOCs

if you were concerned use epoxy for the gloss

its difficult to get good cosmetic repairs for other builders if you use 2 pacs

because most repairers use polyester and epoxy