Surfboard Hydrofoils.

Just a short video showing that I’ve got the hydrofoils working.

https://vimeo.com/57304609

A few more prototypes and then I’ll put them onto short boards.

Edit… wheres the Embed Video button or is it gone ?

Initially I  at that time, it was back  thread here thing at Jaws. foil paipo, it was a technical triumph, so I some foils and tried to copy him b. 

All the foil sims I could find and I noticed the lift derived from a flat plate is  flat plate foils and started from there.

i then twin foils and of the  last and as well environment water surface and plate is a very just is.

Maybe  hydrodynamic knowledge urself !

[quote="$1"]

Might even be able to use fin boxes for foil mounting.  With something like Fins Unlimited boxes, you could shift the foils back and forth to get just the right foil placement without building many different boards for testing.

[/quote]

....YES !!!!

NOW it's sounding SAFER , and maybe ? more versatile? [to my mind] !

.... that's good stuff , BgSurfer !

then

we would be able to easily give them a trial run , brett

Two things now appeal to me ....

1. knowing it is not sharp metal , that would risk emasculating me [or possibly severing the femoral , killing me ] , and

2.  ...a finboxed version !!

knowing that I could place it forwards of the tail , in a box , and be able to move it up from the pod area definately makes me more interested in it , now ....and with the shorter struts , it "could" conceivably be ridden even in our shallow banks .

I guess the questions I previously asked remain though ...

how big of a wave , long of a wave , and faaast of a wave , does one need to get it up and running [lifted out of the water , that is ] ?  cos I'm thinking that with the return to perth's small shallow dribblers with no power , it ain't really going to happen to the best of its potential , eh ?!

cheers !

ben

[*standup foilboards]

the 'terry hendricks' stuff , brett ...

...do you know what that thread was called , did you save it or any of the photos into 'favourites' , by any chance ? ... ( I wonder / hope ? if he still visits here occassionally , perhaps he could chime in ?! )

when you did your "two foils" ...were they  'inline ?' [ 'wildy' style ]...

were they on a standup board ?

how far apart were they ?

and

were they different in size and / or template , like Greg Wild's are , for his 'single fin inline' Firewires ?

I can't WAIT to see video clip[s] , filmed from the shore , ? or the water ? , by someone else , of you 'stand up foil[board]ing ' [for want of a better expression ?]...do you know someone else with a go pro , for the in the lineup perspective , and someone with a good digital video and zoom , and tripod , for the land perspective[s] ?  bawley , with 'Malaroo' , I'm picturing , in my head ... [did you ever see the billabong movie 'nine lives' ??  the boys get that absolutely MACKING ...sunny , curren , taylor knox .... it's DEFINATELY worth getting hold of , if you've not seen it before !]

"BRING IT ON !"  as the saying goes ....

Q:

how 'short' of a "shortboard" are we talking here , to do standup  foil[board]ing [? "S.U.F."?] ...

WOULD 'Malaroo's little 'standup paipos' work  , with a foil , do you think ?  [provided there was a strong / agile /  gutsy enough paddler to get it into the wave quickly ...or a sucky enough wave ...

...not wanting to move too far ahead too quick , BUT ...

do you think they could be paddled into  say , L.A. , Crosswaves , bower , or D.Y. point , brett ? [again , if a quick enough takeoff exponent was riding them ?! 

...do you know a few  people there that fit the bill ?

I'm thinking my brother's best mate , kim [in your neighbourhood, too ! ] might be a bower pundit , he's done that place and L.A.  for YEARS ...I could forward you his addy , if you like , via 'p.m. '

he was making , shaping and reshaping fins and tinkering with stuff , and riding Erle pedersen's  jet bottom boards and stuff since the 1970s , so he is certainly no stranger to experimentation , and open-mindedness !

cheers

ben 

** as you can imagine from my heading here , THIS kind of experimentation gets me S T O K E D ! ! 

thats cool!

watching the video, its hard to see exactly what’s going on - does the small hydrofoil ride on the surface, and lift the board itself?  I was expecting the hydrofoil to stay submerged.  Either way, very cool, hope you get some video from 2nd party perspective soon too, sounds like you are breaking new ground!

https://vimeo.com/57304609

Man, what is that thing you’re surfing? Maybe it’s just the lens distortion but I swear it looks like you’re surfing a flat-cut, unglassed piece of foam with some SERIOUS concave and down-rails

About posting video:

bracket video colon URL** bracket**

That’s what it is for youtube anyway.  Can’t seem to get it to work for yours.

Would be interesting to watch the foil up close for a longer ride.

Is the hydrofoil just a planing pannel or is it an asymmetric foil too?

Shushka, it’s just the distortion from the lens. 

BG, it’s just a flat piece of ply with carbon on one side and 6 oz on the other.

Bracket “video” : URL bracket. .?

(Video:https://vimeo.com/57301019)

or 

[ video : https://vimeo.com/57301019 ]

The second one works for youtube, no spaces.  I can’t get it to work for your** vimeo** though.

Huck should know how though.  Instruct us on vimeo videos Huck.

Relative to the middle of the board where are you mounting the foil pannel?

The trailing edge is near the board.

For a surfboard, have you considered a tri-pod arrangement of smaller pannels.  Just thinking out loud.

Didn’t think of that, set in a line or what did you have in mind ?

i tried 2 foils, set front and back, with NACA profiling and the like but one central foil rides smoother.

I was thinking 1 front (center) and 2 back (outside).  Sort of like a reverse thruster fin placement.

Maybe even the opposite, like a thruster arrangement.

Oh I see ! Kinda like a 

i think as long as the area is 

Might even be able to use fin boxes for foil mounting.  With something like Fins Unlimited boxes, you could shift the foils back and forth to get just the right foil placement without building many different boards for testing.

Not totbe the final e’- shortboard that’s hull so I can add secure i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/variables idea of ways, oment you ught of !!!

Which NACA profile did you choose for your foils?

Hi Ben, thanks for asking those questi the thread was The wave doesn’t wave quality rises so work with this, it needs to to go.The front and back foils were 36  is just under 6 ft X 21 wide X 3 thick, it’s just a manoeuvrable platform to stand on rather than a traditional surfboard.Maybe the foils thought of anything from a SUP to a wooden paipo.You’re such 's done.