Surfboard repair / hairline cracks around stringer

Hi,

I am currently restoring a Junod Surfboard which is 10years old and has a few things I need to take care of… it has A LOT of hairline cracks around the stringer, located in the center of the board… does anyone had similar cracks and do you think it’s critical? I think there is no water coming in so far, at least from what I can see.

How would you deal with this? I thought of maybe grind a bit down and redo the hotcoat…? Or do you think a layer of glas over that area is necessary?
I am also working on a delamination on this board, so I need to glas anyway, sand and polish a bigger area just below the cracks as well…

I would be happy for any advice! Thanks!!

Foam compression and brittle resin. This is very common. It will take in water eventually. I would sand and glass over. Some better pics would yield more detailed answers.

Hi,
thanks for the answer. More pictures below… Would you glas only the area of the cracks or the complete deck?

There are so many hairline cracks… I think it will be a huge area that would need new glassing…

Still kinda hard to visualize the overall project, but the way I see it you have 2 choices. Repair each ding, or glass over the whole area. I have done both. If you’re worried about added weight, then try to sand off as much thickness as you’re adding, and don’t pool your resin when glassing, and the increase should be minimal.

1 Like

Here are some better pictures. But actually it is also not so clearly visible… (zoom in on the area in front if the railband) The cracks go along the stringer for about 2 feet.

I used to have a crack here and there on other boards before, but never that much, so it would have said it’s not so common. But maybe you might have more experience with this…

However, when sanding, would you go down until the cracks are not visible anymore? It might not be so easy, the foam compression let‘s the stringer come up and I am afraid I will sand down too much and destroy the glassing too much…. but just sanding a little bit glassing over will not let the cracks disappear and probably be too heavy I guess…

What do you think?

You can do a search with the words “pressure cracks” and find several threads discussing this. I don’t work with polyester resin, but I notice several comments recommending styrene. I think also superglue, the runny stuff, not the thickened stuff, would work to get into the cracks and make them disappear. As far as adding fiberglass over the crack, that’s your call based on whether you think it really needs it.

Search results for ‘pressure cracks’ - SWAYLOCKS

Thanks a lot! I maybe will try the superglue or styrene on some cracks and see how it works… if that doesn‘t work I might sand down a bit and put one layer of glas only over the area around the stringer…
I will post updates soon…

1 Like