Surfing Take-Off/Pop-up Problems?

To increase body-weight workout loads, I increase the number of sets done while maintaining the same number of reps.

One year ago, I was only doing 4 sets of 12 bar exercises (chin-ups, dips, pull-ups). Now I do 12 sets of 12 bar exercises — groups of 4 sets (X3). Each set done is followed by 3-min of No-Resistance pedaling. I take an 8-12 min break (seated without muscle activity) between each 4-set group to allow muscles to rest (clear lactic acid and recover). I am increasing the work muscles do overall by increasing the total number of reps done.

I do combinations of exercise reps, back-to-back, within a set. For example, one 12-rep, bar exercise “set” above is composed of 3 pull-ups/3 dips/3 chin-ups/3 dips.

The following links are scientific articles about angiogenesis:

https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/japplphysiol.00035.2004?rfr_dat=cr_pub++0pubmed&url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori%3Arid%3Acrossref.org

So, if I understand you correctly, you do [3 pull-ups,3 dips, 3 chin-ups, 3 dips, 3-min pedaling] four times, and then take a 8-12 min break? Then you do this three times.

Is this part of your strategy to get your heart rate very high during exercise? Originally I thought you were saying that HIIT workouts (the step-ups you do) were what would give great benefits at the gene or cellular level. So I’m wondering what you’re trying to get your heart rate up high during these strength workouts. Or is this just a way to get in a lot of pull-ups and dips, but isn’t any better than just doing lots of pull-ups, then lots of dips, then lots of chin-ups, with rests in-between? What I’m wondering is if you’re trying to maximize HR, number of reps, or ??? One reason I’m curious about this is that recently I was told to try and lower my reps and increase my weight.

I’m very interested in what you wrote above about the benefits of HIIT for older people, and have been telling everyone I know about it. When I was young I tended to exercise at a much higher HR than recommended, but a couple of years ago I started forcing myself to go slower and longer at a lower HR. But now I’m thinking that I need to let my HR go high (which is easy for me) a couple of times a week. I haven’t been following the strategy of alternating hard and rest, but instead have just been biking or running up a hill for a long time, and then coasting home.

Thanks for all this valuable info!

Ricky,

My 2017 Mayo (step-up) HIIT, 3x/week is my most important exercise, especially for the heart. Since most people can’t measure VO2, if you are healthy enough to do it, the target heart rate (HR) is 70-85% of maximum, ideally 85% of maximum. (Maximum HR is age related.). The 3-min N-R pedaling following each 4-min HIIT is equally important for improved resting cardiac output. (BTW my friend who is a martial arts teacher/master does the original 2017 Mayo stationary bike HIIT exercise based on an 85% of max HR.)

Beyond the benefits reported in the articles above. The 2017 Mayo HIIT exercise/workout also helps develop “collateral blood flow” in the heart.

Resistance training (RT) is important for increasing strength and muscle mass — helps minimize the sarcopenia of aging. I use bar exercises (pull-ups, dips and chin-ups) and push-ups/sit-ups for my RT. I do not use RT to increase my heart rate.

Bar exercises are among the most strenuous and demanding exercises you can do. I do them to avoid the potential spine injuries I began to notice when I was weight lifting (barbells) in my early 20s. I only do upper body training that does not compress the spine, using no more than my own body weight. My objective is maximum number of reps overall per session with no muscle failure – to increase muscle mass and upper body strength.

Yes. I do 3 pull-ups (P) + 3 dips (D) + 3 chin-ups (C) + 3 dips (D) + 3-min No-Resistance (N-R) pedaling (4 times), and then take an 8-12 min break. I repeat this 2 more times for a total of 3 times.
[4 x (3P + 3D + 3C + 3D, followed by 3-min N-R pedaling)] x 3

I also do combined push-up + sit-up reps following my bar exercises after an 18-min, seated, no-activity rest period. I do 4 sets. Each set is composed of 12 push-ups (PU) + 12 sit-ups (SU). Each set is 3PU + 4SU + 3PU + 4SU + 3PU + 4SU + 3PU, followed by 3-min N-R pedaling.
4 x (3PU + 4SU + 3PU + 4SU + 3PU + 4SU + 3PU, followed by 3-min N-R pedaling).

I do my resistance training (RT) 2x/week on alternate days to my HIIT workout. [I do one day/week of martial art (MA) training].
Weekly Routine = HIIT-RT-HIIT-MA-HIIT-RT.

It is my theory that Resistance Training done with 3-min N-R pedaling rest intervals – on alternate days to HIIT – helps “stimulate angiogenesis” in addition to increasing muscle mass/strength (to substantially minimize sarcopenia).

[BTW I do martial arts push-ups – done on closed fists rather than open hands.]

Thanks for the details–your dedication inspires me.

1 Like

This whole post is pretty awesome, I’m in a bad way with a full frozen and very painful shoulder at the moment. Total bummer.

Sk8t,

Take it slow and easy while bringing your shoulder back on-line.

When I rotate my shoulders, it sounds and feels like I have steel ball bearings in those joints. Result of street boarding in my late 50s to early 60s, US football in my teens and rugby in my twenties.

But my upper body workouts have kept them functional, with minimal pain, for decades. I can still swim and paddle.

A fairly gentle, low-resistance movement you could try is a seated, overhead swim stroke (simulating the crawl/surfboard paddling) for 3-min intervals (or for only as long as you can tolerate). Slow and gentle to start, slowly increasing as your shoulder improves. Don’t force it if the pain is bad.

I do this seated on a 24-inch bar stool with my feet propped up on a rectangular foot stool. It is my 3-min, low-resistance rest interval following my 4-min swim/row/kayak exercise intervals (weight-pulley machine).

Shoulder surgery next wednesday.
Thanks for the love brother.

Hope the surgery goes well Sk8.
:+1::call_me_hand:

How’d the surgery go Sk8?
Hoping the best…

As good as it could, improving every day but its tough at the moment

Have a peaceful New Year.
Slow but steady with your shoulder…

Llilibel,
I have included some of Galpin’s max heart rate concept into each of my 4, 4-min Step-Up HIIT intervals. For the last 12 seconds of each 4-min Step-Up Interval, I go as fast as I possibly can now.
My objective is to get that exercise stress sensation I got after a 100-yard wind sprint during high school football practice — sucking wind and just shy of that near-puking feeling. My belief is, that brief interval (as the 12-sec finale of my 4-min intervals of strenuous Step-Ups) is the type of cardiovascular demand/strain that triggers collateral flow development.

1 Like

Funny. I stopped doing HIIT for the time being and am doing a three month block of zone 2 training (running). It’s the “run slow to run fast” philosophy that most elite endurance athletes use. After the three months of building “aerobic base” I’ll start once a week HIIT back into the mix. Still do my strength training and have been surfing a lot (gotta love winter).

1 Like

Done right,
“Surfin’s/(exercise is) the Source. It’ll change your life. Swear to God.”

2 Likes

After practicing Tai Chi for almost 10 years, I stopped in 2013 due to a medical problem. I never went back to it after sitting out for too long. I had forgotten how important it is to loosen up joints, especially as they stiffen from non-use and/or age.

5-6 weeks ago I started doing a “Warm-Up” exercise (again) that I did for Tai Chi. The Warm-Up is not the actual Tai Chi Form. I got the “Warm-Up” exercise from Terry (Terence) Dunn’s “Tai Chi Yang ‘Long’ Form” video (available from Amazon).

The Warm-Up works/loosens every joint from your neck down to your ankles. It helps build strength and stimulates nerve and muscle function in your shoulders, torso and legs. There are no jarring/pounding impacts on your joints like those experienced with jogging/running, jumping rope, karate etc.

It is a very simple exercise that doesn’t require a lot of time to do. Having done it so many times over the years, I streamlined it to 13 minutes. IMO if you have the physical ability to do it, it is well worth the time and effort.

The price of the DVD is less than the cost of a pair of cheap running shoes. No special equipment or clothing is required. I do it barefoot. Less than 4’ x 8’ of floor space is needed.

2 Likes

This YouTube video has most of the Terry Dunn Warm-Up exercise discussed in the previous comment. But it is missing the first 5-10 minutes. That first 5-10 minutes has most of the quick neck, shoulder, torso, hip, knee and ankle movements/rotations. Those too are critical to the Warm-Up exercise. They are ‘very simple’ and rank a close 2nd to the “circling” work. Get the DVD video for the full Warm-Up. IMO you won’t regret it. Eliminate the New Age dialog, streamline and you have a solid workout exercise.

Hi Stoneburner. An update. I did 3 months of exclusively zone 2 (slow) running (2-3 times a week). Then, for the past two months I 've been doing two runs a week- one is 26 miles, including 3700 feet of vertical (lots of walking up trails). One is 13 miles with 4x4 intervals thrown in the middle. The intervals are almost as taxing as the 26 mle runs. LIke you said, that gapsing for breath feeling. My intervals are 4 minutes running hard for four minutes, at or lightly above one mile race pace with 30 seconds of sprinting at the end, followed by one minute of walking and three minutes jogging. Repeat four times.

I still do one day a week of barbell resistance- curls, overhead press, squats, deadlifts, rows and calf raises. I was doing a body weight day but the runs now are pretty stressing so I don’t do that. Still do a set of push ups to failure every morning. I’m now up to 45.

Also, when I do the calf raises (while holding 135 pounds on barbell) my limiting factor is the grip. I go as long as I can hold the bar. Then I found this-

(Grip Strength: An Indispensable Biomarker For Older Adults - PMC)

Oh yeah, and right now I’m happily riding a 6-1 again.

1 Like

Hey llilibel03,

Sounds like you’re killing it. A 3,700’ ascent is a serious workout. Are you hiking or running it?

Pull-ups and chin-ups can seriously challenge/strengthen grip. Hanging from the bar as long as you can works too…

I’ve modified my bar exercises (pull-ups [P], chin-ups [C], Dips [D]) by changing my rep combination/grouping.
My original (4, 12 rep sets were [PPP,DDD,CCC,DDD]) x 3. I have changed to (4, 10-rep sets [PDC-PDC- PDCD, with 4 deeps breaths between rep groupings]) x3.
It more uniformly works the muscle groups around the joints involved. Also improved recovery time, substantially reduced longterm joint/muscle aching and minimized muscle injuries.

I also combined Resistance workouts with HIIT @ the sucking wind level.
I now do
Bar Exercises followed by Step-Ups 2X/week
And
Push-ups/Sit-ups followed by max speed “Stand-Ups” 2X/week.
I do the HIIT/aerobic workout 7-10 min after the Resistance workout.
(Still do all my other exercises.)
I have finally stabilized performance for my weekly routine. These new combinations have significantly improved my physical capacity.

1 Like

5 months post surgery now and Im back swimming in the pool and got excited to upgrade my dumbells’ for strengthening exercises to 6kg from 3 kgs.
still cant do push ups even on my knees yet as there is significant pain in the front of the shoulder where the bicep tendon attachment is.
But Im on track to get in the surf again but we have had a run of swell and I’m waiting for a small clean day where i can get out on a bank with only a few people. Range of movement is back to 80% of the other side but there is still a way to go with the strength and pain. the surgery recovery was BRUTAL. but compared to an 18 months to 2 year recovery with no surgery it has been a good thing if a hard one.