Surfoils was first!

what did you use to glue it down?

Hi Dave , just epoxy resin.

I figured if I did one coat on raw wood the resin would soak in and it might not bond to the EVA so.

I sealed it first with 1 coat, light sand and then a second layer and positioned the EVA on and held flat with ply and a few bricks.

Came out perfect, I think resin is a better foam glue than the store glue.

http://www.surfermag.com/blogs/opinion/hydrofoils-are-the-mopeds-of-surfing/#JbbGycORYbkfkkPY.97

If you thought SUP’s were dangerous in the line up, the foils are next level!!

Great article by Garrett James. I like the bit where he tries to emasculate the efforts of Laird and Kai and gets written off in the comments section.

http://www.surfermag.com/blogs/random-happenings/open-letter-from-jamie-mitchell-on-hydrofoils/#V60Ac7TRsEhXiALO.97

That was the wrong link, I meant this one…

I think the foil is awesome and I want one but if there were 5 guys with one out at North Stynene? Or two at the Bower? Someone’s going to die…

Hi Marsh, geez that’s a horrible gash on the poor fella but it was from his own foil and not anyone else’s.

Life is dangerous and if you nail yourself you can expect pity but if you choose to put yourself in a more dangerous position, stuff like this is going to happen. Like BASE jumpers, when they die everyone goes That’s sad, but they knew it could happen and that’s part of the thrill.

There are tens of thousands of foils around the world used behind ski boats, sailboats, windsurfers, kite sailing and if they were truly dangerous, they would’ve been banned or restricted by now. I can see if there were a dozen guys foiling out at the Bower it could get dangerous but how many people thought SUPs were death machines too ?

i always consider everyone else first and choose a break away from people, it’s just sensible but if I nail myself, it’s completely of my own making.

I wonder if the guy plans to go out again ?

Gilbert Lum has been riding a hydrofoil paipo in Hawaii for decades. Maybe crude in some person’s minds, but obviously it has been working for him. Interview by Neal Miyake some ten years ago.

http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/Paipo_Interviews.shtml#Gilbert_Lum

Hi Rod,

I didn’t know Gilbert was still surfing.

I’ve only seen pictures of what he was riding in this interview and that was in 1998.

Are there any pictures of any of his recent creations?

I think Gilbert’s designs that I have seen are basic and simple, but if he rides them and he likes them then that’s good enough.

I wouldn’t characterize them as crude. 

Thanks Brett,

I like the color scheme(s)

Gilbert was the person I refered to in an earlier post , sadly he no longer surfs due to health issues .

Gbzausa, check your PMs please.

Through the ‘Sways Network’ we might get an interview with Gilbert Lum…stay tuned.

Interesting that Gilbert’s foil is there to see.

And What I see is a single foil

no wider than the board,

It looks to be a flat plate

With no volume

No deeper than a foot from the board.

And held in place by two vertical struts.

gilbert would know more about foils than anyone except maybe Terry Hendricks.

Here’s a guy beachbreak foiling, and it feels just the way it looks. 

You get better lift higher up the wave and it’s faster than riding a standard board. Because the energy comes from within the wave you can constantly roller coaster up and down , out and back over and over,

I can tell without seeing his foils that he’s using a twin lateral setup because it’s stalls and drops quickly, that’s why I use longitudinal foils. But the industry standard is lateral for some reason.

http://surf.plus/2016/10/daniel-kereopa-dk-new-zealand-foil-board/

Who is your stand-up guy in HI? I really want to see something in person and put my hands on it. Leaving for Oahu tomorrow

I surf Diamond Head a lot. I haven’t seen Gilbert for a while. May just be the time of day we surf. I’ve seen him on the beach, but never seen him on a wave.

Toaster , there’s so many foils companies now, mainly for SUPs, but Im sure any surfshop / SUP shop would have a Go Foil or Naish or a kite foil.
I’ve just finished a new foil prototype this afternoon that’s a progression of my other foils and when it’s time to reveal it again will be a First !
Its very easy to ride, retrofits to any standard surfboard using existing finboxes, adjustable cheap plastic foils, simple install, just have to make sure it rides all sorts of waves and that starts tomorrow.

There probably are many people doing the same things. They seem simple (mostly for manufacturing purpose) but I like things out of left field and you do left field well. If I have nothing to compare bog standard to I won’t understand what is what. Nor why.

That is why I wanted to see some of yours

Toaster, I’m keenly working on getting a hydrofoil kit available that you can add to any old board but I have to keep it quiet until it’s ready. Hopefully just a few hundred dollars delivered to your door and you can build it in a day with an Allen key. It’s safer and a lot more stable.
Who woulda thought that an offshoot from water skiing would end up making surfboard design obsolete !
Not really but anything that floats can be a foilboard, They’re doing it on shortboards and doing airs now !

Why don’t any of your boards contain foils similar to your handplanes? As in, running the whole length of the board/plane?

on the handplanes you’re trying to hVe as much area so the foils can be the whole length.
On a surfboard, a full length foil would have too much area, you only need about 200 sq inches.