swirl tint

what’s the best way to make color smears and splashes blend nice? lay color splashes set off cold, then finish lam’n with either color or clear?

what’s the best way to make color smears and splashes blend nice? lay > color splashes set off cold, then finish lam’n with either color or clear? Ice blue - one drop of black. Don’t tell anyone.

The acid splash and tiger stripe thing isn’t all that mysterious. Your blank should be carefully taped off and the cloth trimmed and ready to go. Simply mix your seperate containers of color in lam resin, undercatalyze each color as you go (unless you’re using UV resin), and do your stripes/splashes right on the cloth - then finish laminating with a fairly hot tinted flood coat. There will be some “bleeding” but if you wipe your squeegee clean once in awhile with an acetone rag and go in the right directions, you will be surprised how easy it is - the color tends to stay right where you put it. Applying your colors can be done in any number of ways… lengths of fin rope, ketchup (or mustard) squeeze bottles, syringes, brushes, etc can be used.

The acid splash and tiger stripe thing isn’t all that mysterious. Your > blank should be carefully taped off and the cloth trimmed and ready to go. > Simply mix your seperate containers of color in lam resin, undercatalyze > each color as you go (unless you’re using UV resin), and do your > stripes/splashes right on the cloth - then finish laminating with a fairly > hot tinted flood coat. There will be some “bleeding” but if you > wipe your squeegee clean once in awhile with an acetone rag and go in the > right directions, you will be surprised how easy it is - the color tends > to stay right where you put it. Applying your colors can be done in any > number of ways… lengths of fin rope, ketchup (or mustard) squeeze > bottles, syringes, brushes, etc can be used. this might be a silly question! but how do you stop it running on to the other side of the blank?

this might be a silly question! but how do you stop it running on to the > other side of the blank? tape it off.

Yes, use good tape and masking paper to completely cover the other side. I worked on a board where we left an unmasked area once thinking the deck was covered “good enough” and managed to get a big smear of color on the exposed foam! I’m assuming you want color on the rails up to the overlap cutline? If not, you can mask off the rail area along where the cutline would be and do a foam stain (no cloth) or lamination color (with cloth) followed by a clear (or tinted) lamination over that.

foam stain?? it’s the first time i heard about that. what type of effect does it give? more of a sprayed look, or somewhere in between spray and tinted cloth?

I’ve done them by masking off the area I don’t want colored and just putting some slightly over catalyzed pigmented resin right on the foam and squeegeeing it off. Again, the method of applying resin can be any number of ways including pouring right from a bucket. It arguably even adds a little strength to the foam before glassing. You definitely want to blow off any dust, use good tape and press it down good. As you squeegee the resin off, it will try to get under the tape line.