Tacky Lam Coat and Wax Paper

“Necessity is the mother of invention.” Has anyone else done this?: You lam one side of your board, wait for what you think is the correct amount of time, then flip the board and cut the laps. When you flip it back again , the cloth pulls off the foam because it’s sticking to the stands.

It happened to me, but I found a good fix: Wrap the racks loosely with wax paper. If the wax paper sticks to the board, no problem. It will peel off easily without pulling the cloth away from the board. The wax won’t effect the hotcoat.

Just thought I’d pass this along. Doug

Geez, since we always used cutlap in 1968, we also tore a piece of wax paper and placed it on the racks as we flipped the boards over.

Who needs the lam coat stuck to the racks, anyways?

Just make sure it’s wax paper you’re using, baking paper DOES NOT WORK!

I hate sanding out baking paper.

cheers

Hicksy

Lee, It looks like I discovered an old trick, …but a new one for me.

Someone needs to write a book: All the Tricks Ever Invented That You Need to Know for Making Surfboards.

Or maybe… start a website for people to share ideas about surfboard design and building. I think THAT would catch on. Doug

In a pinch when I couldn’t find wax paper, I have used aluminum foil for the same purpose. It has the nice feature that you can crumple it around your stands so it stays in place…

A thick cling wrap works okay too, used it many times with no problems.

Howzit Doug, The only problem I see with using wax paper is if the resin is not totally kicked off it's possible the resin could suck some of the wax out of the paper and then you have areas that a hot coat might not adhere to. This is just speculation since I don't and never have used wax paper. What I do is just put the board on the wall rack for a minute and put new tape on the racks that doesn't have the adhesive side up. The glass won't stick to the non adhesive side of the tape. Aloha,Kokua

Hicksy…ahhhh…haaaaa…haaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

You’re killing me!!!

Ahhhhhhhh…

Sr Pato

Kokua, What I’m finding is that some of the wax does stay on the lam when I pull off the wax paper, but it’s compatible with the hotcoat, since it’s just wax. I’ve had no problems with the hotcoats at all. Doug

The wax paper trick is old as the hills.Kokua’s thing works good too.I use wax paper squares when I grab a semi kicked board by the rails and flip it over to cut the laps.Keeps them fingerprints off.Never had any trouble.It doesn’t work to good as toilet paper though. RB

…i use polyethilene film or whatever plastic bag around…

I used to use wax paper on the racks, but found that some of the wax would stick to the board and I’ve had to use 40 grit later to get it off. Heavyweight plastic (like the kind from freezer bags) works well and peels off easily. I slip the bags over my hands to flip the board also.

The use of waxed paper, for handling surfboards in the ‘‘tacky’’ state, was already state of the art in 1958 when I made my first surfboard. I’m sure it was in use well prior to when it was shown to me, by Ronald Patterson. Your problem may be as simple as not waiting until the lam has cured a bit more, before you apply the wax paper. Just as size matters. So does timing.