Takayama had a heart attack in Hawaii....

He was surfing, came back home, told his wife he wanted to go back out and collapsed when he tried to open the handle to the car door. Last I heard, he was in intensive care.

Just thought you might want to know.

Yikes!!!

Hi Kawika, I talked to Guy Takayama 2 days ago and he said Donald was talking and seemed to be in a good frame of mind. Mahalo

Get well soon, Donald!

Does anyone know how old Donald is? Seems to me he is only in his 50’s.

Aloha Larry

Can you find out which hospital he is in in Hawaii and PM me the info

Donald and I are old friends going way back to surfing together in the Ventura/Santa Barbara area in the 60’s

Quote:

Hi Kawika, I talked to Guy Takayama 2 days ago and he said Donald was talking and seemed to be in a good frame of mind. Mahalo

Quote:

Wishing him the best.

Quote:

Does anyone know how old Donald is? Seems to me he is only in his 50’s.

Not sure, but this article says Donald got his first surfboard in 1948. Even if he was only 5 years old when he got that board, he’d be 64…

http://www.barfoot.com/legends/takayama/takayama.html

If my weathered memory serves me correctly, Donald was born in 1943. Which makes him five year’s older than me. Based on my memory of small kid days in Waikiki, that seems about right. Making him at or about 63. Somewhere or some how, I remember Donald being born on Maui and then moving to Oahu.

Etmo, and Puamana,

Thank you, gentlemen, for taking the time to respond. I sure hope he has a speedy, and full recovery. My best wishes go out to him.

Aloha,

whoa! wishing you all the best donald…

Any update ?

Just kicking this one back to the front row, to see if anyone has an update on Donalds’ condition, and hopefully his progress. Anyone know anything?

Don’t have any other details but one of his long-time friends informed me that he is out of the hospital.

OUTSTANDING, thank you.

Ditto Bill’s response – that’s great news!

Anyone know if he was at his house on Molokai when it happened? If so, he was 1/2 hour drive from a hospital, and it’s not a very good one to say the least…

Good to hear he is doing ok.

i don’t personally know him but i have seen those beautiful boards he makes

i hope Donald is doing well and my prayers go out to him for a speedy recovery

I saw and talked to Donald in his shop in Oceanside on this past Sunday. He was in great spirits and looked good. He showed us the last two balsas he is working on as he winds things down here and relocates to Hawaii. They were mouth watering pieces of work. What a great guy. I really enjoyed meeting and talking with him.

well, next time you talk to him tell him that we are all happy to hear that he is doing good