template material?

I made two templates out of some masonite laying around and used it on a shortboard im shaping but its doesnt bend too easily to the board. I was just wondering what material you guys make yer templates out of? thanks

1/8" masonite sheets ripped into 12" strips…

1\8 inch Masonite. Be sure to use tempered for the durability and it’s also moisture resistant. Rip it in 12 inch strips on a table saw so you have an accurate center line. No need to do this if you’re making spin or full templates. aloha

1\8 inch Masonite. Be sure to use tempered for the durability and it’s > also moisture resistant. Rip it in 12 inch strips on a table saw so you > have an accurate center line. No need to do this if you’re making spin or > full templates.>>> aloha…The majority of my templates are masonite,but two or three years ago a factory working friend brought me some heavy duty clear mylar in a roll.I just line it up with a felt pen score it with a razor blade,and cut it out with a pair of sharp sissors.Ican also sand the edges to finish any rough or unfavorable areas. After that’s done I go around the edge with a dark felt pen for contrast…YOU ASK WHY?..IT conforms to the blank easily,it’s see thru(which makes a big difference),it’s water proof,it’s lighter,it’s stronger,it doesn’t decay, it takes up less space,and it rolls up nicely so you can put them in a tube for travel.Herb.

There is a thin plywood product called “door skin” – excellent for templates as it sands and shapes easily. Masonite is a hard product to fine tune. A lot of shapers will do plan shapes in door skin, then use a router and a guide to transfer the door skin template to masonite. You do not have to transfer door skin to masonite, unless you want to. The only down side is that door skin templates are fragile - not practical in a production environment. You can find door skin on the east coast at Lowes for about $7 for a 7 x 3 sheet. Shine http://users.leading.net/~shine

Thought I would add this here, I just finished a spin template I made out of pvc. 3mm, super flexy stuff.
Here in Norway they call them Drip Stop. It was so easy to finish, the cutting out was ok. No sign of cracking or breaking,
like plex glass will do. Ill see if I can find them online and what thyre used for.

Very good! Please let us know. Thanks
I also liked Herb’s idea above using heavy Mylar.

All the best

heres a photo of its use. hope that helps.