Template positioning

Hi! Im building my first fish and have a question regarding using an oversized blank. I am using a 7’4" blank for a 6’2" fish in order to keep the rocker low. I am hoping for approx 3 inch nose and 1.5 in the tail. I can achieve this by positioning my template forward on the blank. My question is…am i better to position the template centrally on the blank and then adjust rocker with planer or do I go for the former easy option. Does it make a difference? Thanks in advance for any replies, Rob.

As long as the plan shape allows it, i would place the template according to rocker.

So would I. Modifying the rocker is probably one of the hardest thing in shaping.

Thanks Huck! That will save me some work, I’m new to this and although not expecting my first attempt to be great it would be good to make things as simple as possible.

Just wanted you to be aware of a glitch of the forum - if you create a new account with a new name now you should get started off with 10 points. But back when you joined the starting points was 0.

Meanwhile I have edited your profile so you can reply - but it will lock up again, until you get past 10 points. Everytime u start a thread you get a point. Everytime somebody clicks “like” on one of your posts you get a point.

Moderators can edit your profile so you can reply, but each time you get a point it recalibrates your total, and if it’s under 10, then it goes back to blocking you from replying. Once you get past 10 it’s smooth sailing.

I added a couple likes in order to get you a little closer to 10.  

+1

Hi Huck,

Thanks for letting me know the situation with points and thanks for the likes. Yes i joined over a year ago and have gleaned lots of info from this great forum. Really excited to at last be be starting my first board. 

Might consider how template postion affects the thickness flow