The future of BlendingCurves

Greeting fellow foam hackers across the world.

As many of you know, www.blendingcurves.com was born out of this very forum.  I know people here have found value in the outline and fin templates I’ve made available and i want to continue to expand how BC provides value to this community.  As i start to FINALLY dive into getting the rocker templates i’ve created up on the site, i can’t help think about the future.  

That’s where you guys come in!

I’d like to open up this thread as a discussion of what YOU think the future of BlendingCurves should become.

What could BC offer/create/provide that you’re currently have trouble finding or learning about?

Where are your pain points?

I’m thinking video tutorials, articles, blog posts, etc. related to everything shaping…but is that what this community wants?  

Youtube is littered with tutorials, but most of them perpetuate bad habits and poor techniques.

BlendingCurves could become the place to learn as a community and from the pros, not unlike what Swaylocks has become…but not limited to just a forum format.

But i need help!  Which direction do YOU want BlendingCurves to go?

Thanks in advance everyone!

All thoughts and advice welcome.

-Andrew

I’m a huge fan of blendingcurves. Use it and think it is perfect. Honestly I wouldn’t change a thing. I appreciate that it isn’t a hand to mouth website for shaping a board or fin.

Dave

Thanks for the kind words Dave.  That aspect of the site will always remain, but certainly there are people that could benefit from a more robust offering of content.

Andrew

www.blendingcurves.com

Looking forward to checking out your rocker templates.  When will they be up?  That alone will be a significant upgrade.

Sorry, not my style.  Working with a piece of Masonite and a batten  is my speed.  Don’t want my boards looking like everybody else’s.  I have sent a couple of people who were at a lose to you though.  CI destroys their blems off the machine.  Why??  Secret rockers.  Wish you the best though and also to those you serve.  Lowel

“Sorry, not my style.  Working with a piece of Masonite and a batten  is my speed.  Don’t want my boards looking like everybody else’s.”

And I’ll say “Blending curves” for those who are true ,is anyways done with battens. 

Yep a lost art…

If I was a  Mod you would have been locked out from day one…I have nothing to sell…

Some people have web pages that they need to link to …because they have something to sell…

I can draw a line, I can make a curve. Don’t need a web link for that… Maybe you should post your add on CraigsList.

Stingray.

Stingray -

You’re completely missing point my friend.  Everything i’m providing is free and meant to help newcomers.  I’m not selling anything.

People come to this site to learn.  I was one of those people.  Now i’m trying to pay it forward with what i share.  It’s simple really…or at least a lot more simple than whatever you’re convinced i’m up to.

Old cynical grumps aren’t my audience anyway…

I’d like to see cross sections for hollow wood boards, taking into account rocker and skin thickness.

Thanks for your effort.

Before the Internet there was Clark’s Rocker Catalog.  The greatest single source of rockers ever.  A bit dated today with all the “low entry” and “relaxed” rockers" , but still a valuable resource.  A while back a young NW hipster was in my shop oogling my 9’0 daily driver.  He especially liked the RD Tail.  So out comes a scrap of Masonite and my fat pencil.  I draw up a quick outline.  Whack off the excess with a Skil Saw and send him back to PDX to cut it out and true it up in his garage shaping bay.  No"secret sauce" and no charge.  Lowel

Rock on JJLam. Good stuff and a generous service. 

All the best

JJlam wrote:

You’re completely missing point my friend.  **Everything i’m providing is free **and meant to help newcomers.  I’m not selling anything.

People come to this site to learn.  I was one of those people.  Now i’m trying to pay it forward with what i share.  It’s simple really…or at least a lot more simple than whatever you’re convinced i’m up to.

Old cynical grumps aren’t my audience anyway…

Definitely hard to make money when you do not charge for templates or website access.  And you have not monetized by allowing commercial advertising on your website.

Whether I use it or not, you have put together a useful website.  I suspect that required a large investment of personal time and effort.

StingRay has a knack for cynicism and distortion (etc.).  

Some older Sways threads related to two of StingRay’s pictures in the current Future of Sways thread:

StingRay wrote:

Sticks along the stringer might make you sleep better at night 

Older threads:

http://www.swaylocks.com/groups/poly-board-snap-fixing-it-step-step-pics

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/advice-re-glassing-snapped-board

StingRay’s recent broken surfboard repair thread:

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/broken-surfboard

Love the site as is.  The only thing I’d add is an option for a full size template printouts rather than piecing together sheets of paper or manipulating the file.

Don’t ever let negativity get to you.  You’re doing a great thing.

I might be the biggest fan of blending curves and don’t need no batten stick to prove I’m a man. As to shaping the board as everyone else is shaping quoted above I’d bet if 100 people shaped the same shape there would be 100 different looking boards.

No need to bash the man that helps us out .A little positive attitude goes a long way which is much needed around here.

Thanks Andrew 

Don’t put me in the bashing crowd.  Just simply stating I don’t use it.  Although I have referred others who just did not have what they needed in their quiver of boards or templates.  For instance;  recently referred someone to BC who needed a 10’6" Gun template.  I wished 'em well.  But I don’t stroke like some do.  I’ll admit that.  Lowel

Blending Curves is a blessing for anyone who can’t design their own planshapes , fins or profiles . The modern internet “trend” is that you can get anything for free…just google it. …Ive always done my own designs , unless someone gives me a template , or design to do a special blank for them…on the understanding that I don’t give it to anyone else… and I never have .