The Jalama project board

It’s been a while since I have been active here. I need to start checking/posting for often again. Ever since Jalama was announced as the destination this year for the annual camp out I have been slowly constructing a board for the occasion. The board is now complete, but, I took a few pictures along the way.

Let’s see if I can figure out how to post pictures again. It looks like the UI has changed yet again.

1. The blank…

Untitled

1. Close up of the blank

Untitled

1. Outlined and skinned

Untitled

1. Getting ready to start glassing

Untitled

1. I thought I had everything under control. This is the calm before the storm.

Untitled

1. Turning shaping stands into glassing stands by rotating them 45 degrees.

Untitled

1. Taping up

Untitled

1. Ready to go

Untitled

1. Pouring out the epoxy resin and measuring by weight.

Untitled

1. Going for it

Untitled

1. Sand, sand, sand, …

Untitled

1. Finally finished

Untitled

1. Some more angles

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

8’6" ea black glue up rocket adjustment, groovy. Time for better glassing racks maybe? You need a logo! Looks fun shape.

Nice post, clearly shows the process and does so simply. Did you use a scribe tool to lay out your tape lines? Ride report yet? I agree with keith about the logo.

EDIT: One more question. When you show your sanding tools pic, you have a giant tape ball looking thing in the bottom left. What is that for?

Hi Scott. I like it. A simple, functional, elegant design. Nothing to confuse the water molecules. I probably won’t make Jalama do do family stuff, but have something to send you. PM me an address, please. Mike

Scott - looks killer.

If there is some swell that will go great out there. Super smooth cruise.

Thanks Monkstar1

Did you use a scribe tool to lay out your tape lines?
No. I free handed the tape

Ride report yet?
Not yet

When you show your sanding tools pic, you have a giant tape ball looking thing in the bottom left. What is that for?
I wrapped up some iron weights with foam and tape. I place it on the board whenever I need stability.

PM sent

I should also mention that I combined two of Bill Thrailkill’s templates to make the outline for this board.

1. The tail is his “Phil Edwards” template
  2. The nose is from his gun template

I have made several boards with the “Phil Edwards” tail section. It really is a nice curve.

I love seeing simple(as in clear pics and descriptions) build threads…Reminds me of the “old days”(for me, which would be 2004-2009). Build threads rule. Thanks for posting that.

I made a few of these little guys a while back and have been itching to add them to one of my boards. I’m thinking about surfing this board once without the little ply fin (shown below). Then I’ll tack it on and try again to see if there is a difference. If there is no improvement then I can just grind it off.

Untitled

Has anyone tried a similar setup? If so, how did it go?

I have yet to try a set up like it but I have talked with some that have and some that have ran something similar and gotten a wide range of feedback.

Interested in hearing your feedback.

Nice work on that one Scott. Very nice!