The old days, before power sanders...

Did any of you out there start making boards before power sanders became readily available? I’m just curious. It must have been hard work sanding boards by hand!

When I started shaping in 1958, boards were either hand or power sanded. The power sanding at that time, was done with a belt sander and considerable hand sanding. I didn’t see a disc sander used on a surfboard until early 1960. I was privileged to have been shown how to sand a surfboard by Ronald Patterson. At the time Ronald was sanding for Burland Surfboards, in La Jolla. On a few occasions, when I did not have a belt sander available, I’d do it all by hand. It made me a more careful glasser, knowing I had to sand it later.

Before I bought power tools, I made boards with just a surform, a wood rasp, and several 2 x 4 blocks with belt sander media. I use small wood blocks to back sandpaper or just use the sandpaper in my hand. You don’t need power tools, but they do make the work faster. I still use the sanding blocks a lot, but I’ve added a vixen file to the mix. I also glue rough grit sandpaper to small pieces of wood for small spot work.
I used to work for the local electric utility. Years ago when I only used hand tools, I was sanding a board under my house and the power went out. Didn’t know it until I got a call from work and had to go in.

I hand sand all my boards, very rare that I ever use a power sander. I enjoy it.

In 69-70 I carved out a few with only a sur-form, sanding blocks etc. in the backyard of my Missouri Street pad in PB. And Bill T is absolutely right; It makes you a better glasser. Lowel

Hi Huck. Will you sand my boards for me? Since you enjoy it. Sanding is the only part of the process I don’t enjoy. The best part of sanding is when it’s done. Wax it and go! Mike

For that I use a pro grade hot wax spatter / drywall texture gun followed by a 15 amp 120 volt skil model 77 worm drive power wax bar applicator, cuz who has time for hand waxing, really. What is this, zombie apocalypse or something?

Funny!
I feel younger!
Yeah, lots of hand sandin’ in Pop’s garage.
But first experience with “power” was a single 10oz, watched the first one.
Handed sander with fresh pad, door closes.
Door opens…
Eh kid!!!
Don’t sand thru, eh!
Door closes…
LMFAO

When I started using a disc sander I did sand throughs a lot. I was using a hard pad and very course grit grinding pads, didn’t know about soft pads that surfboard guys used. I still have one of the first boards I used it on, just waiting to be fixed. I was so bummed when I F’d it up, haven’t had the right mindset to fix it.

nothing better than hand sanding your first couple of boards
just make long 2’ blocks out of 2x4’s and cut some belt sander belts to keep things flat and straight
makes you appreciate both the effort of the old timers and the skills of those wielding a 15lb spinning red beast along a lap line or nose and tail. Sanding and finishing is an under appreciated skill

Yes it is, Oneula, Yes it is. Proper sanding is the hardest task of board building for me.

All the best

Go back and re-read POST #10, the voice of wisdom is speaking.

I agree. Of all the aspects of surfboard making I find sanding the most difficult. I have huge respect for the guys that have it mastered.

I always liked sanding. My first board was sanded by hand and when working in a glass shop doing 10 a day I could do the whole board with just a machine no handing sanding. There is a nice balance though I like to hand finish the rails. When prepping for a gloss coat I always hand sand with a heavy grit and a hard block after machine sanding.

Sanding my own stuff, I know what is there and work the shape.
Hats off for those that feel, eye and blast away!

Aloha Matt,
I’ve always maintained that sanding was ‘‘The final step in the shaping process.’’ I would have the sander take all the shine off of my personal boards, then I would block sand the board, and sand/shape the rails in fine detail. My special form of O C D.

Charlie Walker is hands down the finest sander I’ve ever seen. A true Master. He is dedicated to “preserving the shape” and making sure the customer ends up with what he ordered. Efficient. Proficient. A pro.

I still remember hand sanding the first board that I ever made, man that was difficult and not helped by an untidy lam/hotcoat, but it came out ok- and the board actually worked quite well.

After finishing that I went straight out and bought a power sander

For those guys that can sand 10 boards in a day- FULL RESPECT! I think i could do a maximum of 3 if I started early and pushed myself to the limit- usually after 1 or 2 I get fed up/tired and start doing something else… after sanding hundreds of boards that hard edge can still be fustrating and time consuming to get right.