The Paint

I’m building a skin board with a wood core. The wood is a bowed piece of baltic plywood (very nice wood). Now I want to fiberglass this board to give extra protection so that it will not be worn out as easily. I also want to paint a cool design on the top and the bottom. I am wondering what type of paint I should use that will work with the wood and not have reaction with the resin? I am also wondering what type of resin to use so that even though the wood is painted it will still bond and give a clear finish so that the painted design is clearly visible? I have been told to use a water based acrilic paint. I know that that is what you use on foam but would it be the right thing to use on wood? Could I just use everything that is used on a surfboard and have it turn out fine? ie the same resins and paints…

Hey man, why not build your skimboard with foam ? plywood is pretty heavy only can allow sand skim. I tried painting with acrylic paint, it works well with epoxy.

Hey man, why not build your skimboard with foam ? plywood is pretty heavy > only can allow sand skim. I tried painting with acrylic paint, it works > well with epoxy. To late man. Already have the thing shped and ready. Foam would be to hard because I would need to buy the foam and that would suck. What do you mean only sand skim??

Hey man, I think at least u need 3/8 inch plywood to make a skimboard. Am I right? If yes, the board will end up to be 10-12 lbs (depends on the lenght of it). That’s pretty too heavy going into the wave. Besides, 3/8 inch does not make enough floating. But it could be joyful in skimming on sand. Foam skimboard normally takes 3-5 lbs, its much light in weight and the bouyant allow u skim into the wave. My previous one is 4&1/2 lb of a 46"L 18"w 5/8"thick. Some are even at 4&1/2 lb of 52"L with multi-layers of fiber glass. U have got your skimboard shaped, it does not matter, you 'll build foam board later. Trust me … wave board is much much fun than sand board. Regards, Crabie

How do you give strength to a foam board? Seems like from running, throwing it down, and jumping on it it would cause it to easily buckle and break…

How do you give strength to a foam board? Seems like from running, > throwing it down, and jumping on it it would cause it to easily buckle and > break… You make it with a high density foam core and carbon epoxy laminations. You set the rocker when laminate the top, which what you do after the outline is cut and the edges are foiled. You just put a little spacer under the nose and tail to give it the rocker you want. At least that’s the way I’d do it. Best, Rich

You got the rite place, man. Sounds you dont have much experience in dealing with fiber glass & foam. It does not matter. I m still in the learning curve. Try to build skimboard out of plywood. Shape it, glass it with fiber glass and laminate with resin ( Either polyester or epoxy ). Finally you got a board of 10-12 lbs weight for a 3/8 inch thick . When the board ready, try sand riding but dont expect riding in wave cos its too heavy and less bouyant. After you try your first plywood board, its time to plan the next project - building foam skimboard. Building skimboard out of plywood is cheaper cost but you can learn the basic glassing and lamination technique. I built my first foam skimboard without any glassing/lamination technique, it totally failed until the fourth one came success. It would add much cost to learn building out of foam. Have a happy skimboard building life. Regards, Crabie.