the Pretender 7-10

I do my best aye.

agreed - this will be for the little bigger days. and like i say, even the rounded noses will do less damage if the stringer doesnt run to the tip.

In line with the rampant interest in this thread a grand total of zero well thought out suggestions have been posted up regarding fin placement, so I took them all into consideration, made my best guess, and went ahead and set my plugs. If the placement works out I will post a diagram with dimensions.

Ahoy Huck!,
Between polishing the “Summer sales”
Been fishin’ already, “Viva El Nino”!
Really hangin’ in there for a “ride report”
No worries,!~!!
I am really stoked for you.
Best
Mattwho…

thnx matty

bottom gets 2 layers of 4 oz, deck gets 3. This is the final layer on the bottom. The lam moved a little while glassing.

Looking good, Huck.
Can’t wait to see the finished product.

another awesome build thread! thanks for keeping us in the mix

I should have named it the pregnant guppy! Man i wish I had thought of that name earlier, woulda been perfect.

You are going like rail channels.

Board looks great.

thnx guys

Like all my boards this one has a bunch of little glitches flaws and imperfections. But the majority of issues with the glass job came from trying to do a tricky resin tint and tricky rail channels at the same time.

One or the other woulda been ok, but both together kinda kicked my butt.

I don’t know how many boards I have left in me so I wanted to do this, but it woulda been better to save the tricky tint for a board without channels cuz they are already difficult to glass.

Typical swaylocks type creative overload :slight_smile:

Because its a prototype, different from any board I have or have ever seen in person, its a challenge to push through all the nagging little doubts, second guesses, and negativity in my mind, the voices saying its too this, not enough that, fin placement probably wrong, etc etc.

Just gotta finish it and get it in the water, quit thinking so much at this point.

I am interested to hear how much stiffer the board feels with those channels. They should act a bit like I beams…

Hello Huck, I think part of shaping is always looking and thinking of ways to get a better ride. I don’t think I have ever done a board without immediately thinking what could have been different. Also I don’t now if it is just me, but the first several rides of a new shape are disappointments until I get it figured where to place the feet etc. One of my all time favorites I almost gave away the second surf. Then purposely took just that board for a long day at a wave rich spot and really dialed it in. It has become the basis for most other shapes I do for for myself. It’s the old, “what’s over the hill” thing. That is usually the impetus for doing another…only different and hopefully better. It came from you. You will like it and most likely will change it. The beat goes on…loddy doddy dee. Keep ‘em comin’ Amigo. ps. What ever happened to the Shoji board? Is it somewhere viewable like a store or eatery? That one was slick!

hey Tim ya I go through this with pretty much every board, and like you, I usually don’t like them at first either hah!

Seems to be part of the creative process, just thought I’d include my thoughts at this point to round out the picture. Yet each board, there is some kind of resonance there that inspired its creation to begin with.

But I have yet to build a board, paddle out, and say yep, just as I imagined it would be, love it.

Like you say, takes a little time to get to know a board.

I don’t know where the shoji is, maybe its time to build another??

Ride report…

At this point I will block sand the board by hand and then using a foam weenie roller apply a thin coat of epoxy resin.

I’ll do this a few times, until I can get a uniformly scuffed surface without hitting weave, at which time I’ll start working my way through the finer wetsanding grits.

I find hand sanding oddly satisfying, and have no desire to switch to a power sander.

stoked on the progress and your patience at the end.

when you say block sand, how hard is the block? is it wood or is there some flexibility? just asking because i assume there’s some contour in the board, right? so would a wood black cause sand-throughs? also, how do you hand sand the channels? just paper in hands and get down in there or some kind of trick?

this one has a few more complex curves to work my way through than normal. I have a wood sanding block and a foam block. I have a fat marking pen I can wrap my sandpaper around for the channels. And a little bit of freehanded sandpaper in a pinch here and there.

That cup holds 6 oz. of resin IIRC, and thats pretty typical for my fill coats. Never really need to mix up any more than that.

I drizzle it around like syrup on pancakes, then spread it with the little foam roller, working the roller in all directions with a progressivey lighter touch, until I’ve gone over the entire surface several times, and the resin coat is uniform like you see in the last two pics above. In this case I used a small brush to do the channels first.

Nicely done. Sanding by hand is very satisfying if time permits. Great install on the Probox. Your roller technique is very creative and in circumstance where time permits; I would think such a technique would be fool proof. I’m in Calif still and have that Probox Misc. stuff. I’ll break it out in a couple of days. Inventory and post some pics. Very well done.

thnx lowel i often glass in dusty less than ideal conditions so foolproof is kinda what i’m after.

got it sanded to 320, threw some fins in, and tied a leash on. next up wax, and it’ll be ready for maiden sesh!!

So very nice…
Forgive my humor :-{)=