The Sally 8... Almost from the beginning

Ha!
Almost ready to flip and shape the deck!!!

You shape the deck after glassing the bottom? Interesting…

It may make more sense when you see the pic…

With no stringer, I learned the hardish way, I need the structural integrity of the full blocky foam left on the deck side for shaping the bottom, then once the bottom is glassed, it makes shaping the deck a piece of cake.

incredible work of art

Well as “Uncle Ambrose” might put it, there’s a lot of Wabi-Sabi going on, or somethings went a way that wasn’t necessarily part of the plan… Not that I may not have been able to do something about it… Hahahahaahahahaha!

After a little freehand hotwire…

2 Likes

Taylor,
How’s Sally 8 doing? Alive and well?
Bill

Hey Bill,
Thanks for checking in. Got some intense stuff going at work the past few weeks plus a spring cold… Nevertheless, I got the deck lammed, and did some sanding… Once I get some pics you’ll get a kick out of the “uniqueness,” and understand why it was a bit of a challenge…
Planning on more sanding and leash loop tonight.
Taylor

I totally understand unexpected events and Obstacles.
Don’t leave us hanging for Sally 8.

I’m really having a hard time visualizing what is going on here, or understanding what I’m looking at. Do you have finished pics of the previous iteration, and / or some pics of it being ridden??

Somewhere in past threads, I believe Taylor posted a photo of him riding Sally 7 at Acid Drops on Kauai.

Hey Huck,
It’s getting closer…
Plus, over the years, I’ve been on my own party of fairly unique craft…
Here is a favorite steps - the tail edge…
Made 8 layer, folded non-stick foil “dam,” used double sticky tape to set it, then tape for extra hold…
Made up 50/50 putty: cab-o-sil/glass beads.
Pulled the “dam” just in time to rough it in with the Surform…

Next, sand, finish coat deck, sand bottom and finish coat…

1 Like

Hi Huck,

I realized, looking at the picture just before you posted, that point in my building method may be confusing…

If that’s your question, let me know and I’ll try to clari

fy…

As for earlier iterations, I don’t know if pics from the old site made it over - if they did, then there should be some.
If not, here’s some quick pics.

Not sure why the one ended up in the middle of a sentence… Ha!

I think that happens if you upload a picture before you finish typing your text. Happened to me in my exercise/pop-up post — and I couldn’t edit it.

The pictures definitely help, but I’m still a little confused, because there appears to some type of cowling on the deck side, and an exaggerated nose rocker, like maybe this is a surf ski or surf kayak? The build is interesting and the finished board looks cool, I’m just trying to understand what I’m looking at exactly :slight_smile:

Huck, Like I wrote, I’ve been on my own path… It’s an “irregular” stand up board (NOT SUP). I’m not sure what you mean by “cowling,” but if you are referring to what I call the “deck belly,” than that’s just more foam for paddling… Ha!
I like a longer board - this one’s 8’ - even for smaller hollow waves, and I find the nose flip helps on the drop.

Here’s the nearly finished deck. Just gotta add the “foot stop,” drill relief holes, and, after the bottom is done, sand the rails where the wax goes… Helps keep it from wearing off so fast…

The little deck “belly” extension is so I can put my head down when paddling, and the rest the nose is relatively thin so I can duck dive…
Those curves were super challenging to laminate. I think I’ll see if I can find some suggestions if I do it again…

Go for it Taylor…

Ok, now its starting to make a little more sense to me. Surprisingly, I actually made something very similar in a hws about 15 years ago. I’ll see if I can dig it out and get a picture. I never pursued the design as you have, but you’ll see we are very much on the same page. Truth is stranger than fiction!