the Wing Squad

Year Built2014
ShaperHuck
ManufacturerHuck
Model Namethe Wing Squad
LocationCactus Valley Beach

Bought this US Blanks 8-2A poly blank, inspired by the work of Joe Blair, I wanted something fat and fishy, with a quad setup, and I stepped it in with a wing.

While not the original intent, at some point I noticed the similarity to the Rusty Big Cat… so I read up, and looked at the videos, showing bottom, rails, etc. I take notes when I find stuff like this. My shape is a little different, wider tail, more pulled-in nose, but there is still valuable insight to a backyarder like me, gained from a close up and personal look at a board like the Big Cat.

Fish purists would not call this a fish - I’m calling it a winged swallowtail quad, so The Wing Squad (for short) is its name.

The rail only curves in about a half inch before it bevels out to the bottom. On the deck side I’m dealing with the thickness, and I didn’t want a real dome deck, so I carried the thickness out as far as I could, just a little dome, and then a wedge taper down at the rail, almost like Brewer used to do on a lot of his boards. There is a little V in the tail, with slight concaves, then flattening out the back

The entire board was brush painted with acrylic and latex paint, then glassed with Resin Research epoxy resin, 6 oz. on the bottom and 6 + 4 on the deck, patches top and bottom in 4 oz.