Thee modern fish thread

…3 is too much if you foil in the same way as the retro fishes…

When I say 3 or like that is only on one “point”

due to that I refered that I foil the MF a bit different than the others

so the max thickness is only in a small inches area.

The retro fishes have too much foam, for that reason they are not so dilligent on the shorter turning radius but yes they are rapid (intrinsically).

They have too much “flat” action relying on the bottom and not on the rails; going down the line or dribbling as DS said.

so, how do you approach that final volume is the fact; if you are not sure, better go thinner or less than 5´4´´

Its important that you re read first comment; ok, there s no all the info but all the basics.

Hey Reverb,

I'd love to see an outline and rocker shot if you can get them to post.  I remember you posting pictures of some really radically shaped fish in the past.

You mentioned you tend to use more rocker than is common.  I'm just curious if you could give a rough idea of how much rocker you'd put in a 5'6" designed for small fast beachbreak.

Actually I'd love to pose the same question to Mike Daniel, if you care to share.

Repectfully,

Andrew

…hello Newschoolblue,

as mentioned in the other comment you have 5 pictures and 1 from MD to check

There you can see an outline and the rocker from tail.

Seems that for somebody the pictures do not shown

This is an old pic (lifted off the carbon/spectra thread) of a 5'4''.Shows the ball of foam in center and rocker.

To go back a few posts and answer njsurfer's question, you should make yourself a thinner and/or more foiled version and find out for yourself!

Thanks to both Reverb and MD for your responses.  For some reason I can't see the first three pics, but I think I get what you're describing.  I whittled away at my first "real" fish over the course of 2009 - 2010, emulating Greg Griffin's style to the best of my limited ability, and am beyond happy with how well it functions.  Now I'm itching to try out a shorter, more bladed, flexy design, a-la-what-you're-describing.  Thanks for the inspiration.

There’s a lot of stuff going on these days where there’s a lot of thickness at the middle and yet the rails are nice and thin.

I think a lot of people are enjoying the extra thickness in the middle but also like the way the thinner modern rail works. I must say that I had get used to the heavy crowning of the deck, but the added performance of the thinner tucked under rail on these boards is worth it.

I first noticed it on the boards Greg Griffin made for Oneula and me. When Greg was explaining why he had so much crowning on the deck, it just went a little over my head. After a few years I fully understand what he was trying to explain. 

The first time I saw Hynson’s Twinzer I was blown away by the rails, especially in the back half. They were knifey and very thin. I always liked the way it looked by I didn’t think I could paddle something that thin. 

Mike, could you show a shot of the outline on that 5-4? Interested in why it has an S-deck. Is that an optical illusion?

s

"Photobucket"></a>"

MD`s fish are high performance 

…hello Surf4fins

I can not see the image shack pictures in this thread and in any thread

I use Firefox and XP os

plus,

now I can not see the pictures that I posted in first comment

I ll try to put some of them

Reverb, I could only see 2 of your images.

ok, here we go again

in these ones you can see the outline, the reverse bcrack, the S deck, volume distro, etc

and here some info:

…tapered out fish foil shape; reverse bcrack; flat bottom; flat deck (S deck);
60/40s semi full to sharp/hard on tail; more rocker on tail; kick tail
(for a fish); 2 in 4 a la speed d fins, front ones with 20/80 foil 1/4
max thickness tapered to tip, 1/4 toe in, 7º cant; back ones tilted
half, double foiled, no toe in, all rigids; gloss/speed finish combo
made to fly

https://swaylocks7stage.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/PICT0124.jpg

Very nice, different approach.

Do you think the s deck is an important part of the design?

I was tripp’n on the very first photos thinking “how did this guy get these abstracts in there,… so cool”

The boards look great too!

Retro and Modern ride on a cloud called “state of mind.”

Some obviously very refined boards in this thread. Im normally a foam fiend, but having made myself a 5'8'' ( although chunky ), i think if its light enough, a very wide, flat but thinish ( for me 2 5/8 ) fish could work quite well for me. I think EPS might be the go though

Beerfan… I can tell you about my experience with two nearly identical fishes - exact same template, bottom, fin size and placement, thickness, foil, etc… the only difference was the top of the rail/end of deck, and how it rolled down into the actual rail curve… one was more angular, and the other more rolled and blended. One PU/PE, the other EPS… #2 core with double six deck, single six bottom. The EPS came out lighter and snappier… the PU/PE smoother and more glidey. I attribute this difference only to the weight, and has nothing to do with flex. But the biggest difference is that the extra glass made it stronger and more durable.

Here’s the nose rocker on my EPS retro, twin keeled fish… 1 1/2 a foot back, 2 5/8 six inches back, and 4 1/2 at the tip. So the curve accelerates. Slight panel vee in the entry.

Tail rocker’s about 1 3/8 at the tips, slight double concaves run right out the back

Here's a clip of that 5'4''. Board is 2 3/8'' on center, .84 cubic feet. Rider is about 6'0'' x 160lbs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amyplumlee/4727915589/

[quote="$1"]

Beerfan... I can tell you about my experience with two nearly identical fishes - exact same template, bottom, fin size and placement, thickness, foil, etc.... the only difference was the top of the rail/end of deck, and how it rolled down into the actual rail curve... one was more angular, and the other more rolled and blended. One PU/PE, the other EPS... #2 core with double six deck, single six bottom. The EPS came out lighter and snappier... the PU/PE smoother and more glidey. I attribute this difference only to the weight, and has nothing to do with flex. But the biggest difference is that the extra glass made it stronger and more durable.

[/quote]

Thanks nj, i had a heavy pu/pe fish, which had tonnes of drive and glide and was fast as hell. Too heavy though. I now have a smaller board, which is more of an egg, that is much lighter, which goes great but doesnt have as much glide/drive, though with the round tail i think im missing some drive. Love to have one of each, a hefty pu for trim and glide/momentum, and a light eps one for snappiness. Wish list haha

…hey Beerfan, as previously mentioned

these ones don t have that glide you talk but more the snapiness you say

I ll put more pictures

here s a customer in average conditions.

Guy is about 1.78m - 1.80m and 75kg

board 5 7