Thrailkill twin - build

Wideawake,

Your board looks bitchen.  Really nice rails, too.  I came back after a few days and looked at one of my boards and decided, not good enough.  Cut it up and put it into the recycler.  No more shitty shapes coming out of my garage. Mike

Nice how you got those stringers to lay flat around the nose, too, wide awake.  Mike

What rocker did you end up with?  I.E. nose? tail?

Hmmm… Seems the site is acting up for me as I tried to post twice but nothing showed up.

Back to the post…

Thanks for all the kind words.

As for rocker…

Nose is 4-1/4 which is a tad under the target that bill gave me ( a bit tricky getting foam distribution and rocker correct out of a stock blank - I will get a custom rocker on the next one) 

Tail is 2-3/8 (as prescribed) Now it’s time to glass, which I probably won’t get to starting until next weekend.

Wideawake,

Think you pass muster…

Real nice work.

The outline is 

Damn fine!

Mr. T,  kudos…

A voice in the back of my head sez

Fun Gun…

So I got to laming the top and bottom today and I’ll probably hotcoat tomorrow.

Went with a gold tint - once the gloss and polish it should be pretty cool. Gonna go with a “volan” pin line to match the fins. 

Looking great

Hotcoated yesterday day - routed the boxes today. 

Honestly I have been most excited about routing the boxes. 

Now to sand, pinline, gloss and polish - wax and ride! 

that looks fantastic!

you’re making me want to break my fun gun out of mothballs and give it a spin

Huck… Hope you dusted that thing off. 

I just finished mine and it feels amazing to hold. There are imperfections and I left them… It was made to ride. 

All glossed and polished.

Easily the most distorted photo’s yet !       Hope Mr. Paler can iron out the glitch soon.       Looking forward to your ride report.

Good job, board looks clean and beautiful.

Hope you get some great waves to test it in, that’s my new favorite length!

Amazing!!!

Love it.

Because the idea of a dual fin board is so fascinating.
I collaborated with a fellow surfer who shapes his own
Short high performance boards. We discussed fin box placement
and he shaped and glassed the board. It’s a 5’6" eggy shape
with a single concave and relaxed rocker in the tail and mild nose rocker
It’s glassed double 4 bottom, double 6 deck with a couple 1.5" carbon fiber
strips running through the central part of the board about 8" apart.
The fins a symmetrically foiled from a glass/carbon/epoxy panel of rather upright
template. We have made a rather surprising performance discovery. Rather contrary
to our expectations. As the fins are move aft the board becomes uncontrollably loose.
and as the fins are moved forward it becomes more and more stiff and difficult to turn.
We have discussed what the next shaping attempt will be and have decided on more flexible
glass schedule and a moderate increase in tail rocker.
Finally we’ve found that fin placement is extremely touchy. A sixteenth of an inch move affects
the performance picture enormously.
I’ll try for some photos when the opportunity comes round.

Try some asymmetrical fins in that thing.

I finally got to take mine out, been waiting on swell and all I could think was it was gonna be stiff. So far from the truth. Smoooooth. Havnt got a whole lot of waves on it yet so I’ll update the ride report over time but I am a lot more confident in how it will surf. 

Hey WideAwake,

That board rocks man.  Such a nice shape.  Where is the widepoint on the board? What size and type of waves would that design work best in?

Surfer o,

Sorry for the delay in the answer, I didn’t see your post until now. Wide point is just about 40" back from the nose. 

About what wave it was made for… This particular board was made for waves with a little bit of body. I’ve had it out in a foot or two overhead ( I’m 6’2") with no issues what so ever. It can handle quite a bit more and I’m hoping to take it there. 

As for the fin set up - seems as if it would translate to any well designed single and give it an afterburner.