Thruster or 2 + 1 ?

Can somebody explain the main difference between a thurster and 2 + 1 fin setup? Going to try a thurster setup with 4.75" sides and 4.75" center. I think it’s going to work good on this 9 footer i have, what are your thoughts?

3 things will vary the result.

1. Tail Width

2. rocker

3. foil

The 2+1 will ride like a souped up single fin; turns better then a single.

Better for cruisy standup gliding style.

The thruster has more turning power and much less glide or none.

Good for modern rail surfers who want to turn more aggresively and get vert.

With the right fin system setup, you can try both and dozens of other variations.

Quote:
3 things will vary the result.
  1. Tail Width

2. rocker

3. foil

Quote:

Kickten,

1. foil…what foil are you talking about? Fin???

If you use a centre fin box then you can buy an FCS adaptor that will allow you to put in any of their twin tab fins.

That way you can try it as a single or 2+1. Then put in the adaptor and run it as a thruster. Decide which one you prefer.

You may find you’ll like the drive you can get out of a 2+1 when turning around whitewater sections.

Quote:

Can somebody explain the main difference between a thurster and 2 + 1 fin setup? Going to try a thurster setup with 4.75" sides and 4.75" center. I think it’s going to work good on this 9 footer i have, what are your thoughts?

rikks, Why limit yourself! Here’s a 6 ft. Terry Martin that has over 24 options. Mahalo,Larry

Thank you for your feedback with this question. I am going to keep both configurations as options but will start with the 2+1 setup and when the surf allows i think i’ll change to the thruster configuration.

Thanks

Rick

P.S. Larry the Terry Martin with the Orca and the GT side bites is very nice. I will be going with an 6" Orca and FCS sides for now.