Tinted cutlaps

Hi, when doing a tinted cutlap should all layers of cloth wrap up to the tapeline? I’ve read that you should shedule the layers so you get the same amount of glass everywhere on the rail. I imagine if you do this with a tint, the glass edges would show as well as the thicker layers would be darker then the thinner ones. Weight is not really an issue. regards, Håvard

…with tints KEEP THE LAYERS EVEN AS POSSIBLE,OR YOU’LL SEE IT!Herb

Håvard, What resin are you using, polyester or epoxy? What glass schedule? With multiple bottom layers, you could lay them up clear, staggering the edges. If using epoxy, sand. Then add the final glass layer with a cutlap. After cutting the lap, you would press the glass edge into the foam. That way the color is consistent all the way to the glass edge. Since I’ve never done this, the process may work better lamming the big tinted layer before the smaller clear layers.

? about tinted laps… would it be possible to brush the lap edge with clear hot coat resin, so that it blends with the foam? or will it look sloppy? the bottom will be the only part tinted, with the laps. top is clear

Have you considered laminating a single cloth layer with color and then laminating a second layer with clear? Or how about using just a single layer of heavier cloth?

Have you considered laminating a single cloth layer with color and then > laminating a second layer with clear? Or how about using just a single > layer of heavier cloth? Thats the way to go do the tinted layer next to the foam and if your doing multiple layers then do the clear over it—if you do the tint over a layer of clear ,you get a real runny looking color and its much harder to make it even!

Håvard,>>> What resin are you using, polyester or epoxy? What glass schedule? I’m thinking 2x6oz bottom + 3x6oz deck. Epoxy on beaded foam. Debating putting an extra 2oz layer on both deck and bottom to even out the weave and possibly avoid the need of a sanding coat (or just less sanding). regards, Håvard

Thanks all, I’ll tint one layer then lam the clear one on top of that one. Thanks again. regards, Håvard

… how about making the the layer closest to the foam a tint layer and then do a tigerstripe layer over it with clear base. Would it work? Pros/cons? regards, Håvard

Havard - I don’t have that little symbol above the “A” in your name… you might have problems with the pigment from the stripes filling in the weave of the first glass layer resulting in a mini-checkerboard thing. Without going in to a lot of detail (I’m sworn to secrecy) the tiger stripe jobs I’ve seen start with the multi-colored stripes followed by a tinted flood coat for the main background color. It was all done in one process.

Havard - I don’t have that little symbol above the “A” in your > name… you might have problems with the pigment from the stripes filling > in the weave of the first glass layer resulting in a mini-checkerboard > thing. Ok. Thanks.>>> Without going in to a lot of detail (I’m sworn to secrecy) the > tiger stripe jobs I’ve seen start with the multi-colored stripes followed > by a tinted flood coat for the main background color. It was all done in > one process. A little bird already told me, just checking. regards, Håvard