to "baste" or not to "baste"

what is everyone’s method for smoothing laps? especially against the foam.

what is everyone’s method for smoothing laps? especially against the foam. …a credit card,or bondo blade.Herb

sorry, i mean after the resin sets. i’m not that good yet herb.

sorry, i mean after the resin sets. i’m not that good yet herb. …you can use a little lam resin with a 2" brush.JUST BASTE the lap where the glass meets the foam and stay on the foam ,out to about an inch or two.DON’T MAKE IT TOO THICK OR GET IT ALL OVER THE PLACE.That would defeat it’s purpose.Herb

i have been using sanding resin to baste. does lam resin work better?

i have been using sanding resin to baste. does lam resin work better? you don’t have to sand the lam resin and you run the risk of messin up your foam if you do http://www.scsurfers.com/board/rails.html

if sanding resin is used…must it all be sanded before laminating the deck? or won’t the resin bond? sorry for all the ?'s.

teddy, sanding resin has wax solution in it, which is parafin wax disolved and suspended in styrene. when sanding resin cures the wax comes to the surface, and no subsequent coat will bond to it, unless it is sanded. that’s why JR suggested ‘basting’ with straight lam resin.>>> if sanding resin is used…must it all be sanded before laminating the > deck? or won’t the resin bond? sorry for all the ?'s.

polyester resin is air-inhibited, meaning it won’t completely cure in the presence of air. that’s why you have wax in sanding resin, it seals the surface from the air allowing a tack free, hard cure. lam resin contains no wax so it ramains tacky, you could put cellophane over the top of it and it would harden… but don’t. other resin will readily bond to the tacky surface but not to a waxy surface therefore you must sand off all the wax , even in the dips, or whatever you put on it will chip off. so, if you use lam resin for your lap you ain’t gotta sand nothin even though we do LOVE sanding! when you check your glosscoat and see you’ve got shiney lines and dull lines running the length of nose, you’ve F*ed up your gloss coat and the wax/resin process becomes really clear.

polyester resin is air-inhibited, meaning it won’t completely cure in the > presence of air. that’s why you have wax in sanding resin, it seals the > surface from the air allowing a tack free, hard cure. lam resin contains > no wax so it ramains tacky, you could put cellophane over the top of it > and it would harden… but don’t. other resin will readily bond to the > tacky surface but not to a waxy surface therefore you must sand off all > the wax , even in the dips, or whatever you put on it will chip off. so, > if you use lam resin for your lap you ain’t gotta sand nothin even though > we do LOVE sanding!>>> when you check your glosscoat and see you’ve got shiney lines and dull > lines running the length of nose, you’ve F*ed up your gloss coat and the > wax/resin process becomes really clear. What do the shiney and dull lines mean? What step has caused this to occur? I’ve had that happen to me once but I just sanded the board and it seemed ok after that. Thanks, Magoo

hmmmm…dunno for sure, I’m blaming it on the humidity. started to rain as i was pouring the gloss. several hours later dull lines were waxy and getting hard the shiney lines were as tacky as the second I put it on. it was just on the nose though, that plowed field kinda look, quirky shit. I put some cellophane over the nose and put it in the sun and left it. next day it was hard enough to sand and try again.

hmmmm…dunno for sure, I’m blaming it on the humidity. started to rain as > i was pouring the gloss. several hours later dull lines were waxy and > getting hard the shiney lines were as tacky as the second I put it on. it > was just on the nose though, that plowed field kinda look, quirky shit. I > put some cellophane over the nose and put it in the sun and left it. next > day it was hard enough to sand and try again. …Yeah, when it’s really hot and humid the gloss will frogeye on you as well.Herb

Glossing is tricky…here is what I have learned over a lot of years. First off you need gloss resin (not wax added lam stuff)Reichold is the best.The room temp should be less than 80 degrees for the best results.You also need a good 4 inch natural bristle brush…not a cheap one.Always strain the resin thru medium cone shaped strainer.I have a cold room and I shoot my glosses really hot…35cc to a strainer full(enough for a 9’0")Wipe with acetone just before mixing the batch.Now this is important…less is best.Apply the resin and and brush sideways twice,then brush it lenghthwise one time and one time only.You are not painting …just getting an even flow coat.Don’t worry about zits as they will polish off.If you see a dimple just take a popsicle stick and drip a little resin into the void…it will all flow together.I guess that this is pretty confusing but it is the best I could do.

Cleanlines…Its makes since to me…of course watching you do the same thing last week in person may have something to do with it!

Cleanlines…Its makes since to me…of course watching you do the same > thing last week in person may have something to do with it! Yep you cant beat hands on eperience.You also learned how to polish…how many pages would it have taken me to explain that?The tools are the key.I enjoyed watching you eat dust and rubbing compound Ha.Did you get our blue squeegees yet??

Glossing is tricky…here is what I have learned over a lot of years. > First off you need gloss resin (not wax added lam stuff)Reichold is the > best.The room temp should be less than 80 degrees for the best results.You > also need a good 4 inch natural bristle brush…not a cheap one.Always > strain the resin thru medium cone shaped strainer.I have a cold room and I > shoot my glosses really hot…35cc to a strainer full(enough for a > 9’0")Wipe with acetone just before mixing the batch.Now this is > important…less is best.Apply the resin and and brush sideways twice,then > brush it lenghthwise one time and one time only.You are not painting > …just getting an even flow coat.Don’t worry about zits as they will > polish off.If you see a dimple just take a popsicle stick and drip a > little resin into the void…it will all flow together.I guess that this > is pretty confusing but it is the best I could do. After I sand the board I wash it with dish soap and rinse it off really good and let it dry,then I apply my gloss coat. While the board is still wet with water you can see if there are any spots that the water doesn’t stick to. These will be your problem spots so either wipe them with acetone or do a little sanding touch up,then hit with the soap and water again to see if the water still beads off the spot. Hope this helps. Aloha Kokua Fiberglass

After I sand the board I wash it with dish soap and rinse it off really > good and let it dry,then I apply my gloss coat. While the board is still > wet with water you can see if there are any spots that the water doesn’t > stick to. These will be your problem spots so either wipe them with > acetone or do a little sanding touch up,then hit with the soap and water > again to see if the water still beads off the spot. Hope this helps. Aloha > Kokua Fiberglass …Kokua,im going to just gloss over all this and say aloha.I lived on Kauai from 68 to 85.Hanalei mostly.I shaped and helped Diff chamber board’s across from Ching Young store in Hanalei.Bobby Allen was the glasser from Russell Surfboard’s at the time.Larry Strada,and Wolfman shaped there too.I just had to say hello to Kauai.Tank’s a. J.A.

…Kokua,im going to just gloss over all this and say aloha.I lived on > Kauai from 68 to 85.Hanalei mostly.I shaped and helped Diff chamber > board’s across from Ching Young store in Hanalei.Bobby Allen was the > glasser from Russell Surfboard’s at the time.Larry Strada,and Wolfman > shaped there too.I just had to say hello to Kauai.Tank’s a. J.A. Are you the same J.A. that worked at the Dolphin Restaurant and lived with Brian Kennally’s sister? If it is you’re gonna love it when you find out who I am.

Are you the same J.A. that worked at the Dolphin Restaurant and lived with > Brian Kennally’s sister? If it is you’re gonna love it when you find out > who I am. …Ya that’s me.Come on,blow my mind.What? I owe you money or somting.J.A.