To Ben Shipman.........An Inspiration to me..............

Thank You Ben,

Because of you,I had the courage to follow thru .

I hope and wish you all the best in life.

your friend Herb

Plaskett in October? A celebration of life…

yeah Ben !

I hope you are well and able to surf

you’re an inspiration to me , too , mate !

cheers

ben

Herb. I am not exactly sure how I could have inspired you but I am glad too know that I had an affect on something in your life or any one’s life for that matter.

LeeV, If you planning on having a raffle at Swaylocks 07 in Oct. I have a few things I’d like to donate. I am going to try my best to make it this year.

Chip, hey bud!

Ben.

Just being you Ben,Thank you.Herb

Shipman and Shipman surfboards are an An Inspiration to me too.

He’s helped me through some tough personal times and pushed me to explore my inner artist. He helps me with shaping rails and has loaned me templates. Although I consider him to be a master shaper and awesome artist he always treats me as an equal.

Looking forward to glassing another Shipman fish in the near future.

Ray

S^!t,what?.. jeez! At least wait I am dead to say stuff like this. . Stingray you have had the go ahead on that fish for over a year now. What’s taking you so long? just kidding ya.

Ray Hope everything went well for you and your wife today.

Herb good luck and thanks

Ciao!

Ben.

Hi,

I wanted to share a Memorial to Ben with all of you. Ben passed away on the evening of May 2, 2007. Our friendship spanned 36 years.

Link to Memorial: http://earthpatrolmedia.com/wordpress/?p=176

We will miss you - Rich

R.I.P. Ben.

R.I.P. Ben, my condolences to his friends and family. His Bonzers were so cool, and his artwork was amazing. I still think about that yellow 6’8" he posted a few years back with the leaf designs as being one of the coolest boards I’ve ever seen. I nearly had him do me a board last year but the Clarkfoam shutdown put paid to it.

His postings on Sways will continue to inspire. +

I had the pleasure of meeting Ben a couple of times. Once at Keith’s shaping party and again in Big Sur at one of the camp outs. Ben was a class act all the way. He was the type of guy who pretty much kept quiet and let his shapes do the talking. A complete gentleman in every way.

When I met him, I had no idea he was sick. He carried on like it was nothing.

His shapes were very precise and complicated reflecting a professional skill level. Some of the channel/concave bottoms I saw were just spectacular… On par with anything out there.

He will definitely be missed. I was really shook when I heard the news.

http://www.swaylocks.com/…ubstring=0&mh=25

http://forum.surfermag.com/…t=&x=17&y=12

http://www.shipmansurfboards.com/

Wow, sad news. He was one of the nicest guys on here, and there’s a lot of nice guys here. A loss to his friends, family and those of us who liked beautiful surfboards.

Hello All ,

Kind of ironic that this thread was actually started before Ben passed away. Rich thank you for Memorial to Ben. Looking forward to meeting you someday.

Ben Shipman passed away on Wednesday night May 2 ,2007. Ben died in his sleep. He went peacefully. Ben was a very special friend. I’m honored that I got to be his surfing partner and surfboard building buddy. Ben has been fighting cancer for 15 years and through it all he never gave up. Services for Ben were held today in Old Town San Diego. Ben’s ashes will be spread out into the ocean. We are currently planning a paddle out for Ben Shipman. Everyone is welcome.

Paddle out at Terramar beach in Carlsbad California

Saturday May 12 ,2007. 2:00 pm Come early ,stay late

Take HWY 5 to Tamarack exit. Go West towards beach. Turn left on Coast Hwy (Carlsbad Blvd.) Drive past Lagoon and park on Coast Hwy in front of power plant.

We will be near the first house. There’s over flow parking on Cannon road

Catch a wave for Ben

Aloha

Ray Meek

Ben and Hank Swaylocks 2005

Aloha Ben. I’ll listen for you in the pines at Plaskett.

This is very sad. He was a classy guy and a talented board builder. The last time I saw him he was paddling out at Plaskett with Keith and Ray. Probably close to triple overhead with the whole bay closing out. Determination. I watched them duck dive about a 1oo ice cold waves. Mike

Sad news! Ben was a very special guy that inspired me with his surf stoke and his positive attitude on life and I will miss seeing his posts on here. My prayers go out to his friends and family.

Rick

Ben will be missed. Nicest humblest guy you could ever know. Always a treat when he would drop by the shop. Working with your hands, making surfboards for friends is a blessing and Ben was blessed. Toss a bit of resin on the floor next board you do, for Ben and the rest of the board builders that have moved on.

Ben was a great guy, a real artist and craftsman, and I for one feel privileged to have met him. I picture him in the ocean now, patiently waiting for a wave. Aloha, Ben…

Rest In Peace Ben.