....to Bill Barnfield ......

hiya Bill !

i recently got a dvd re-release of the 1975 classic [Hoole / McCoy] movie “Tubular Swells”

…and watching it , i was wondering …

do you by any chance recollect / still have the templates of the pintails that gerry lopez and rabbit were riding in that period ?

i’m guessing the tails and noses were around 11" wide ?? [they sure look like some VERY pinny boards to me …]

what was the rocker on them , i also wonder ?

cheers

ben

…the good part of this movie being re-released too, is …

there is the 15 minute or so classic of Jack McCoy’s “a day in the life of wayne lynch” … which should be compulsory viewing for every shaper , THAT film , in my opinion [he talks about some of his shapes in it]…and the surfing footage in it is MENTAL !!! …

Chip, any chance you can pop some screenshots of that?

BTW a bit off topic but some old boards I saw at a buddies in Cape Town some of which must be from that era:

I hear ya Chip.I just picked it up on VHS - the main reason being to see the Lynch segment.Particularly love the opening shots on that left hander at Johanna (presumably), and the other small wave stuff with Maurice Cole.

For the time,that was amazing stuff , hell it’s still poetry in motion !

Aloha Ben

I just got a notice yesterday from one of our video suppliers that that film was being re-released. Cool!

Yes I have those old templates…or rather… my old templates which were similar to what Gerry and Parish were using at that time.

I am home at the moment but later I will see what I can dig out when I get to my shop. The boards that Gerry and I made for Pipeline and were riding were radically different from what Parish was making for Sunset that most of the Australians were riding. Not so much stylistically, but functionally very different.

Quote:

hiya Bill !

i recently got a dvd re-release of the 1975 classic [Hoole / McCoy] movie “Tubular Swells”

…and watching it , i was wondering …

do you by any chance recollect / still have the templates of the pintails that gerry lopez and rabbit were riding in that period ?

i’m guessing the tails and noses were around 11" wide ?? [they sure look like some VERY pinny boards to me …]

what was the rocker on them , i also wonder ?

cheers

ben

…the good part of this movie being re-released too, is …

there is the 15 minute or so classic of Jack McCoy’s “a day in the life of wayne lynch” … which should be compulsory viewing for every shaper , THAT film , in my opinion [he talks about some of his shapes in it]…and the surfing footage in it is MENTAL !!! …

hi Bill !

thanks for the reply !

and

any update on the dimensions of those boards , please ?

cheers

ben

I got this one made by some guy named RB.

Its 7’8" and a pintail.

Aloha Ben

Here is a Pipeliner from about 1979

This was the last Single Fin I made for myself, I think.

This board has seen the interior of some insane barrels!

8’2" x 18.8" x N-11.8", T-9.6". Thick 2.8

Not sure of the rocker on this one. Have to get it down and measure it.

But common Rockers in the mid 70s would have been under 2.5 in the tail and under 6.5 in the nose.

My favorite 6’4 around that time, had 2.25" in the tail.

I should note here that Lopez (in my book anyway) gets the credit for this “Pipeliner” pintail template for Pipeline

It is much more involved and specific for that wave they most would know. And it isn’t just the pointy pintail part that I am talking about.

You mentioned 11’ noses and tails. Most Single fins in Hawaii actually varied by around 2 inches smaller tails then noses.

California had wider tails and the East Coast wider still.

I just realized what a shameless plug this photo turned out to be for my Retail Shop.

Sorry if that offends.

PS, nice Brewer Template Greg…

Quote:

hi Bill !

thanks for the reply !

and

any update on the dimensions of those boards , please ?

cheers

ben

thanks bill !

plug away , by all means ,

then hopefully my brother will recognise the shop next time he’s there !

“You mentioned 11’ noses and tails. Most Single fins in Hawaii actually varied by around 2 inches smaller tails then noses”

… so ,

do you mean if they had 11" noses [DID they ??] , they then had 9" tails , Bill ?? … gaaadzoooks !!

cheers for the photo and info , please keep them / it coming !

cheers

ben

[=Blue]Aloha Ben

Yup around 2 inches. I know that is hard to imagine because the boards now are competely reversed with 2 inch wider tails then the noses!

Most tails were not 9 inch but were so on some long guns. Or narrower boards. 11 inch tails were more common on 7’ and under boards, depending on their max width of course. The 8’2" I posted the picture of has a 9.6" tail. It is 18.8" wide so if the board was brought down to 18.3" or 1/2" narrower, the tail would be getting pretty close to 9".

Some boards had 11" noses some wider, some narrower. Remember when discussing Hawaii boards, you can’t say “boards had” because Boards in Hawaii, have lengths that commonly run from under 6’ to over 10’ and I am not talking about Tankers. In fact, that is why we call long boards Tankers here because we also have plenty of regular boards that are really long. So “Longboard” is not always an accurate description of a board.

Considering the vast spread of lengths possible and the fact that the power here allows for much narrower boards then most elsewhere. The words “normal” or “standard” don’t apply all that well. The variations one can choose can be fairly broad. So other places can have a fairly narrow, safe and common middle zone that one can then say… “boards had” but not so easily with Hawaii.

In places where the common spread between a short board and a gun is only 12" of length, words like normal can mean something common and well pretty “normal”. But much less so in Hawaii where the spread can be as much as 4 feet!! And a common, normal is much harder to find and agree on.

Since the advent of tri fins the versatility of boards was expanded to cover a larger spread of wave sizes and types compared to single fins. So now a decent quiver could be about 5 boards where as with single fins it might have taken 8 boards to cover the same spread.

At the same time boards have evolved and refined to the point where there is very little variation between most shapes for the same guy in the same waves. Consequentially, there are now much more common standards, even in Hawaii. But even so the variations here are generally broader then most elsewhere.

thanks very much for that info , Bill !

yesterday i came across an old ‘Surfer’ , with a shot of Rory Russell’s quiver of bolts [? by tom parrish ? , from memory …would that be right ? ,

it included dimensions …

i’ll try to remember to bring it with me next time i’m near computerland …

cheers

ben