to the surf mat riders ....

just a couple of questions …

(please pardon my ignorance , as Ian [‘sandgroper’] and I are soon to embark on a bit of mat riding […on separate mats, yes] )

1. what do you guys inflate them [mats] with …hand pump ? foot pump ? compressor ? service station [‘garage’] air hose ?

2. what pounds per square inch [?psi?] is a good starting point ?

thanks for your help …we will let you know how this goes [hopefully not off with a pop or bang!]

cheers guys !

ben

p.s. - this morning would have been WAAAY more fun on a mat , I reckon . And tomorrow’s forecast , if accurate , looks like being "groundhog day’ again ! …let’s hope so , because I had HEAPS of fun two or so summers ago the last time I ‘matted’

… to be continued …

Chippo, dont forget the pics !!!

( and this new “av” of yours is not much better by the way…)

Hi Chip!

here’s my 10 cents:

1. sheer lungpower

2. whatevers feels good really :smiley:

I love riding mats!! The speed is amazing :smiley:

chip - that’s right. lungpower.

to start with, inflate to the point where you can bend the mat to a 90deg angle. From there you’ll find yre prefs. i now usually ride chest-hi to head-hi waves with an inflation to where i can fold the mat in half and its still a little supple.

once you get hooked, you’ll probably be riding it more than anyother vehicle

chip, good to see you’ve joined in the fun. the dark side ain’t so bad, is it?

your inflation level depends on the mat being ridden. from my experience, dale’s mats work even better at lower air pressure, but the cheapy Intex mats that i started with only felt right at full(or nearly full) inflation. i suppose a design flaw. the chambers may not allow air to travel the way a neumatic does.

the intex is much faster at lower levels (i popped it, but slowly, so i had time to catch a bunch more waves before it was completely flat) but you lose all ability to control, which is fun, but not the intended outcome. at nearly full inflation, i could carve turns, and hold a high trim line, but still no comparison to my neumatic.

also, remember that your body creates the trim line, unlike a hard board, you manipulate the air on the inside rail to hold your line. if you are constantly changing body position on the mat, you’ll break your trim line and lose speed. think of being in the cockpit of a racecar, you want to operate from one position at all times, just slight body rolls initiated by the hands. Squeezing the outer rail with a flat hand on your inside rail will let you form whatever line you like, controlled climbling/dropping by alternating pressure with the palm of your hand. less squirming = cleaner, faster lines

pics, pics, and more pics please sir ben

chip+mat+camera=stoked!

Chipper, the far more knowlegable gents above seem to have the actual important questions answered, so here’s my input:

These things are amazing fun, you’ll revert to grom very quickly, so go with the instinct and definitely run Sandy G. over at least once.

They go FAST, even in 2 footers you’ll have moments thinking you’re laying down one of those GG bottom turns.

My entire mat riding modus- find steep section, high line into it, drop to big bottom turn then try to get tiny barrel whether it exists or not, mini closeout pounding while laughing wildly, do it all again.

I think I’ll do a personal Dale too- mats are technically illegal in LA County (no inflatable devices allowed) so I’ll either go early and stealth or go northh

Quote:

mats are technically illegal in LA County (no inflatable devices allowed) so I’ll either go early and stealth or go northh

I was under this impression too a few years ago…but somebody posted a regulation which showed mats are allowed on L.A. County beaches. Unfortunately I don’t remember where it was posted…maybe here, maybe in the surfmat group. If I have time tonight I’ll poke around an see if I can find it. I printed a copy out and kept it in my car for “just in case”, but that car is long gone and so is the copy. I don’t recall if the poster was Greg Deets, maybe Dirk Brandts…

Nels

Ben,

The following will help… have fun!

"A mat has a variable shape. You shouldn’t blow it up rock hard then go out and ride it. You run it softer in small waves so the corners will stretch out flatter and it will skim more, and a little harder in powerful waves so it will be stiffer and hold in more. You can fine tune the handling between rides by adding or letting out air. That’s an unbelieveable thing to be able to do. It’s like changing boards any time you feel like it.

"I ride my mat really soft. When the mat’s soft and you are running down the wave there’s very little water coming off the outer rail. You can see this in pictures. As you throw a mat into a turn you squeeze the front. That stiffens the mat up and it holds in through the turn. You learn how to squeeze the front when you want to hold in and release our grip when you want to break loose and skim.

“The funny thing about mats is that they’re the easiest thing to surf on a basic, beginner level, but they’re the hardest thing to surf on an advanced level. It takes 10 years of experience before you can drive them anywhere near their potential. I’ve been riding mats day-in and day-out for over 40 years, and I’m still learning things. I’ve never been bored riding a mat, ever. They’re just too challenging and too much fun…”

“Mats are the most challenging things I’ve ever surfed on. I love the way they feel too ride, and they work in any kind of wave. Also, they’re very easy to transport. You can roll up two mats, a pair of fins and a wetsuit and put it into a handbag and carry it onto a plane. If I had to ride one thing out of all the surfing vehicles I have-- a mat would be my choice.”

George Greenough - Australia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljNxUhRQWWM

The first part was filmed in the late 1970’s for Greg Hughlin’s film, “Fantasea”. George Greenough and Paul Gross were riding traditional “stock” (slower, heavier, less sensitive) canvas/ rubber mats at Government Point near Santa Barbara, CA.

The second section was filmed in the 1990s by Brian Taylor for his film, “State of S - Full Circle”. George was riding a much faster/ more sensitive nylon/ polyurethane 4th Gear Flyer, circa 1984-85, Lennox Head beachbreak, NSW Australia.

Note that Paul and George are very low profile most of the time, head and chest down on or close to deck… hands, forearms and elbows most often positioned around outside of rails… this is the most efficient style… pure, fast and fluid mat surfing style.

"I think the biggest hurdle in mat surfing is letting go of the mental baggage accumulated while riding other “solid” surfcraft… surfmats are a completely different trip. When you learn to separate yourself from old habits associated with hard-board surfing, you begin to realize the great potential in inflatable mats.

“With surfmats, more so than surfboards, you have to trust the equipment. The mat will naturally seek out the wave’s energy. All you’re really doing is slightly manipulating a trapped bubble of air… some of the best moments in mat surfing come when the mat is driving and accelerating on its own!”

"Surfmats actually work better at lower inflation levels. I usually keep mine at only about 50% to 70% full. With less air, the mat instantly conforms to the curve and texture of the wave. There is very little resistance because the mat is not pushing or plowing through the water. A fine-tuned mat will automatically find the fastest line on a wave. Squeezing and releasing the front corners firms and softens the rails, providing drive and edge control.

“From personal experience, I can tell you that surfmats have almost nothing in common with bodyboards. During my first few sessions on the mat, I tried to ride it like a bodyboard with horrible results. It took me a while to unlearn my old habits, and only then was I able to see a bit of the surfmat’s great potential.”

Tony Lum - Hawaii

“Learning to ride a surf mat is more about learning how to ‘not ride’ it. In other words, the harder you try the more frustrated you can get. The mat will find a balance on the wave face with very little effort from the rider. You can pull off some amazing turns and cutbacks… the speed you can generate from a mat will shock you!”

Tom Sterne - Texas

Really? If you could find that I’d be stoked Nels- I have been told off by some lifeguards and ignored by others. I’d love to break the mat out down at the local.

Thanks

here is the code as it was posted up at InflateAbleDreamSpeed

17.12.460 Inflated equipment – Use restrictions.

A person shall not use in the Pacific Ocean opposite any beach regulated by this Part 3 any inflated equipment of any kind except:

A. A standard surfmat which is:

1. Constructed of a durable material with a nonslippery surface;

2. So constructed that when inflated for use it will not fold in any direction;

3. Not smaller than 24 inches by 40 inches;

4. Not larger than 30 inches by 60 inches;

5. Equipped with a safety rope;

B. Coast Guard approved inflatable equipment launched for lifesaving purposes from a sinking or burning vessel or a vessel that is hazardous to the crew’s continued occupancy. (Ord. 85-0206 § 7, 1985: Ord. 9767 Art. 3 § 59, 1969.)

Yes, funny I didn’t find it there…found it posted here by HalSose though…making the connection with the rope and the regulation. Print it out and put it in the car!

Quote:
 <span style="font-weight:bold"> Re: [liguid] My first [b]mat</span> riding experience<span style="font-size:6px">Posted: Feb 14, 2005, 8:19 PM 

Post # 4 of 17 ( 412 views) [In reply to] [/b] Reply (login)

Los Angeles county Inflatable Restrictions:

LACC 17.12.460 Inflated equipment – Use restrictions. A person shall not use in the Pacific Ocean opposite any beach regulated by this Part 3 any inflated equipment of any kind except:

A. A standard surfmat which is:

1. Constructed of a durable material with a nonslippery surface;

2. So constructed that when inflated for use it will not fold in any direction;

3. Not smaller than 24 inches by 40 inches;

4. Not larger than 30 inches by 60 inches;

5. Equipped with a safety rope;

B. Coast Guard approved inflatable equipment launched for lifesaving purposes from a sinking or burning vessel or a vessel that is hazardous to the crew’s continued occupancy. (Ord. 85-0206 § 7, 1985: Ord. 9767 Art. 3 § 59, 1969.)

If you get one of Dales mats with the rope attachment, then it is 100% legal in LA.

Shitpipe has a couple of regualr matter there.

THANKS!

I’ll print a couple of copies to have on hand- and funnily enough shitpipe is a spot I’ve often thought about taking a mat out at and now I can do it!

i’ve seen pics of greg deets with what looks to be the actual ordnance number stenciled on his mat.

Forgive my ignorance but why would anyone even consider regulating surfmats? To me they seem to be the least dangerous object in the ocean. Is there something life-threatening about surf mats that I am not aware of?

Chip

I dont think its a good idea to put 16 FCS plugs and a fin box in the mat and go for the octo flier setup…

probably Gov’t thinking it knows what’s best for you. that if you go out in the ocean, fully relying on the mat for flotation, it could rupture…and if you can’t swim, then you drown.

That’s my best guess.

I actually ride my mat as a single fin. I use a blue knock-off of a Churchill I found on the beach at El Porto. I like to try it as a twinnie, so if anyone has another pale blue fin I’d pay up to 5 american dollars for it.

Yeah, I need to go and bite the bullet and buy real fins- or I could use the free dive fins which have about a 13 inch blade and would undoubtedly make sure I was first in the wave.

I’ve asked some lifeguards about this. Pretty stupid! What they said:

(1)People in the surf on air mats can drift away.

(2)A deflated air mat has no buoyancy.

(3)A deflated air mat can cover a person’s face preventing them from breathing.

(4)Air mats without a safety rope secured all around it cannot be held.

(5)Partially deflated air mats can unsafely fold over in any direction.

???

"Q: What types of flotation devices are allowed at the beach?

A: Generally, fiberglass and foam surfboards and body boards are the only acceptable flotation devices on Los Angeles County Beaches. Inflatable flotation devices are not allowed except for surf mats. Surf mats are permitted due to the fact that they remain buoyant even after all air has been depleted."

http://www.watchthewater.org/help.cfm#43

Chip, if it helps.

Go to the service station and look for the old fashion tyre inflaters (not the digital ones), hold it up against the valve and your mat will be inflated in no time.

it always worked quick for me. plus you cant self inflate the redback mats.

inflate it so you can flex it 90 degrees in the centre.

cheers mate!

Quote:

1)People in the surf on air mats can drift away

That’s probably the key. I’m told people get blown out into various Great Lakes in the U.S. and Canada and drown. I’ve read the same rule in big lakes in the southwest like Lake Mead. If a 9 year old kid was on one of those big-ass Hodgeman rafts inflated to rock hardness and the Santa Anas were blowing, then he’d probably blow out to sea…which of course hasn’t really been a part of beach reality since the 1970’s probably. Maybe they are thinking giant pool toys.

That Q &A though…whoo boy. Human beings remain buoyant after their air has been depleted too, but I wouldn’t recommend it.