Tom @ Red X

Hi Tom, I’ve heard it said that some of the pros are starting to experiment with single fin boards again. I would like to put a Red X application in a single fin and would like to discuss some ideas about it with you regarding placeing two boxes in front of the other and a fin concept I have in mind for the board. check in when you have a chance. Better Surfing, Rich

Hi Tom,>>> I’ve heard it said that some of the pros are starting to experiment with > single fin boards again.>>> I would like to put a Red X application in a single fin and would like to > discuss some ideas about it with you regarding placeing two boxes in front > of the other and a fin concept I have in mind for the board. check in when > you have a chance.>>> Better Surfing, Rich Rich, I’ve got a McCrystal Bonzer with a 7" Red X Center Fin. They are available with enough lead time. We have not made a longer box yet. But, we have discussed making both a longer range box and a non-adjustable shorty box. At the moment I am waiting on a new set of templates for a signature fin set and just got masters from Malcomb Campbell to make the Bonzer Runners. So, it will be a little while before we have time to do anything with the boxes. I have heard, but, never seen a double box installation before. They cut the boxes at one end of the neck and glassed them in back to back for increased range.

Rich,>>> I’ve got a McCrystal Bonzer with a 7" Red X Center Fin. They are > available with enough lead time. We have not made a longer box yet. But, > we have discussed making both a longer range box and a non-adjustable > shorty box. At the moment I am waiting on a new set of templates for a > signature fin set and just got masters from Malcomb Campbell to make the > Bonzer Runners. So, it will be a little while before we have time to do > anything with the boxes. I have heard, but, never seen a double box > installation before. They cut the boxes at one end of the neck and glassed > them in back to back for increased range. Thanx Tom, now all I have to do is figure out how to build the fin so I can make it work in a Red X insert, which I must say I’m at a lost of how to do at this point and time. Back to back seems a good place to start. Better Surfing, Rich

I have been jonesing to make a bonzer (5) fin and I have been wanting to try Red X. Please let us know when you get the bonzer fin templates in production. I was not sure where to get those half moon front fin templates and an acceptable trailing fin (I have only seen the setups in the mags and on-line). That would be great if I could get them with a fin system. How much is the installation kit for Red X (approx.)? thanks

Thanx Tom, now all I have to do is figure out how to build the fin so I > can make it work in a Red X insert, which I must say I’m at a lost of how > to do at this point and time. Back to back seems a good place to start.>>> Better Surfing, Rich Rich, If you start out with a laminated sheet .325" +0/-.005 thick and shape your template and foil with a .475" extra unshaped depth at the bottom. Measure forward 2" from the trailing edge. This is where you will drill for the nut. Get an 8-32 barrel nut with knurled walls. Drill a hole sized for a press fit for the nut midway up the tab at the 2" line. Before you press the barrel nut in sand a taper in the bottom tab such that the top is .318" thick and the bottom is .300" thick. Then cut and radius the ends so that the root is 2" over all length and the hole for the barrel nut is centered. Finally drill up from the base with a #18 drill centered at the 2" line to intersect and drill past the barrel nut hole for clearance. Finish sand and your done.

I have been jonesing to make a bonzer (5) fin and I have been wanting to > try Red X. Please let us know when you get the bonzer fin templates in > production. I was not sure where to get those half moon front fin > templates and an acceptable trailing fin (I have only seen the setups in > the mags and on-line). That would be great if I could get them with a fin > system.>>> How much is the installation kit for Red X (approx.)?>>> thanks Mike the installation kits are setup for production shops. The tools are all farely substantial. But, easy to use once your setup. There is a vaccume jig that requires a minimum 80 PSI to secure guide the plunge router. I have mucked around with small adhesive based jigs and rotozip types of laminator cutter and found that if you slip up it can be nasty. Where as with Larry’s system the bit stops as soon as you release the trigger and the router doesn’t shift around on you. Herb has done some with a jig he had made. But, I’m sure he was pain stakingly careful with his installation method. Anyway back to your initial question: Fin Setting Jig…$7.50 per set of three Angle legs 0-5degrees…incl. foam rings…incl. Milled fiber…incl. Installation Jig…$65.00 Vaccume Pump…$100.00 Makita Router Model 3612 w/ 7’base$220.00 4.5" X 1/2’ Router bit…$20.00 7" router base for other routers …$20.00 I can let you know if there is a shop in your area that is already setup to install.

Rich,>>> If you start out with a laminated sheet .325" +0/-.005 thick and > shape your template and foil with a .475" extra unshaped depth at the > bottom. Measure forward 2" from the trailing edge. This is where you > will drill for the nut. Get an 8-32 barrel nut with knurled walls. Drill a > hole sized for a press fit for the nut midway up the tab at the 2" > line. Before you press the barrel nut in sand a taper in the bottom tab > such that the top is .318" thick and the bottom is .300" thick. > Then cut and radius the ends so that the root is 2" over all length > and the hole for the barrel nut is centered. Finally drill up from the > base with a #18 drill centered at the 2" line to intersect and drill > past the barrel nut hole for clearance. Finish sand and your done. Thanx for spelling it out so clearly step by step Tom. Hey tell me what will be the advantage of the Red X fin box over a standard one for single fin applications? The standard fin box will give a wider range of fin placement. The channel may produce a little more drag. Hmmm. I wonder where the payoff is for a single fin with one or the other system. Tell me what you think about it. It seems the sky’s the limit with a standard box but as usual I’m open to learning something new. Better Surfing, Rich

Thanx for spelling it out so clearly step by step Tom. Hey tell me what > will be the advantage of the Red X fin box over a standard one for single > fin applications? The standard fin box will give a wider range of fin > placement. The channel may produce a little more drag. Hmmm. I wonder > where the payoff is for a single fin with one or the other system. Tell me > what you think about it. It seems the sky’s the limit with a standard box > but as usual I’m open to learning something new.>>> Better Surfing, Rich The decreased weight and drag, along with the secure fit will be the primary benifits.