Trailing fin on a 6'2" Bonzer 5-fin

Can anyone with a lot of experience riding short bonzers (6’ - 6’6") tell me the proper size range & placement for the trailing fin on a 5 fin bonzer?

Muchas gracias!

Mike

Hi Mike,

It depends on the type of Bonzer you’re talking about. I have a 6’2" Octafish that has a 6" bonzer fin per Malcom’s recommendation. My old 6’10" Minigun had a 7" Bonzer fin on it.

What shape do you have?

Marc

Thanks.

It’s a rounded square tail. It’s from the mid 80’s and has an outline very much like the standard thrusters of that time.

My new MC 6’6" egg 5 fin has a 6.5" fin set at 5 5/8 from the tail with 1/4" over lap with side fins. Wide tail block boards will need a larger center fin.

Hello Mike

I think the sweet spot tends to be about 5.75" - 6" from the tail on most 5-Fins done in the Bonzer style of the Campbell Bro.

However a good rule of thumb I would review first is make sure that your overlapping your sides fins just a bit.

Tell us what you end up doing and how it works out.

Quote:

Hello Mike

I think the sweet spot tends to be about 5.75" - 6" from the tail on most 5-Fins done in the Bonzer style of the Campbell Bro.

However a good rule of thumb I would review first is make sure that your overlapping your sides fins just a bit.

Tell us what you end up doing and how it works out.

This has worked well for me also.

my son’s 5 fin which was build by Scott Busby down on cape hatteras is flying very well with a 5 1/4 " center fin . the board is 6’3" and is based upon a thruster fish from the early 90’s that scott made him , david loved the board and rode it to death…he has the fin overlaped by about 1/4" with the rear runners.