Trash it or fix it? Jim McCloud 9'-0"

I don’t have a history on this Jim McCloud. No year on the stringer. But it has the feel of a 60s style big wave board.

I picked it up for $100 a few years back figuring I’d ride it till it deteriorated to nothing. 

The nose got jacked up and waterlogged and rotted out a bit…

And now that I’ve road it for a few years, and developed a fondness for the beast, I can’t bring myself to throw it in the bin.

I took the dremel to it, and removed the delaminated section of the nose. Lots more pressure dings on the bottom.

The deck has a few significant bubbled up delam sections too.

I could do a couple things:

1. Trash it
  2. Carefully strip the deck and bottom glass and reglass it, and tint the whole thing to give it a new life.
  3. Fix each section and make the board look like a map of the Balitic states with filler and UV yellowed glass/foam.

Just need an objective push in a direction. 

Patch it and ride it some more.  

Honestly, the top doesn’t look too bad to me. I’d sand down the bottom as smooth and as close to the weave as I could. Then, I’d do 2oz pigmented lam (not tint) over the entire bottom. You could also do a 2nd layer of 2oz with clear resin to protect your pigmented bottom but it will add weight. If you want to go cheap and light, you can spackle the gaps in the nose and front area, or if you’re serious about the board, scrape out all the old brown foam and fit in new foam replacements. As for the delam bubbles, they aren’t too hard. Dremmel them out and reglass the dremmeled piece right back in or use it to get creative with fabric inlays.

Thanks guys.

I think you’re both right. I thought it was going to be a lot worse before I pulled off the nose glass. I like the idea of doing a 2oz coat on the bottom.

It’ll be easier than indivdually taking care of all the pressure dings.

I’ll likely just clean and fill the nose, and put a layer of 6oz there, then the 2oz on the length.

For the top, I might be able to get close enough to the blue and yellow with paint after taking out those delammed sections.

Thanks, this is definitely the way to go.

Good idea. When I do repairs/restores like this I like to double up on the glass around the nose and tail cause I always hit them on something. Show us pics of the progress/final product.

Lite weight spackle for all that stuff on the bottom.  The deck doesn’t look too bad.  You can repair and make it look really good and very rideable.  It isn’t worth a show room restoration.  Post some pics when you are done.  I bet you can make it look pretty decent.  It’s not a “60’s board.  

Nice work!  Did you use spackle to fill in the delammed section where the foam came away with the glass?  Then cloth inlay over that?

It’s not a “60’s board.  

I noticed that too. But if you look again at what he said, it has a 60s board feel. 

Yes I understood what he was getting at.  Were it a 60’s it might deserve a showroom restoration.  Since it’s not and he wants to ride it again;  good rideable repairs are in order.

I say fix it. I am sure I will draw some criticism here, but I look at this as an opportunity to use up some questionable supplies, try some cowboy techniques, and keep it in the water where it was meant to be. Less for the landfill. The delam areas are a bitch, so on basket cases, I have taken to drilling multiple ports just through the glass at the delam, and injecting resin with a syringe. I wipe the excess, put a piece of wax paper and  some weight on it. Otherwise I would just patch and patch, and try to consolidate the patches under broader fill coats. Since you are just going for watertight and seaworthy, you can take the luxury of being a sloppy craftsman, a lazy sander, and mad scientist. I hope you decide to save it.