Tri or not to Tri

…Here we go…another circular exchange of ideas…>>> …you’re right, not the song, but the singer…>>> …To me the skilled rider is the one who chooses the most appropriate > equipment for the conditions, given their ability…>>> …I’d love to see a multi-fin board rider just relax and hang in the > pocket for a while…It seems to me that, in most situations (not just a > perfect peeling barrel) that you gotta be pumpin’ monkey to keep up with > the wave…>>> …Maybe I’m wrong???..>>> Paul – IMHO, I disagree… No matter how advanced, experience and skill will only take you so far… one`s choice of equipment often determines the final outcome. In nearly any activity you can think of… whether by means of running shoes, parachutes, race cars or surfcraft, the highest levels of performance are ultimately determined by our dependence upon fine-tuned, inanimate objects… carrying us beyond that which is humanly possible.

Great string.We are now gettin to the heart of the matter.I kinda think > that people thatt started surfing on modern thrusters generally have a > hard time making the transition into longboarding.Shortboards call for a > fairly wide low center of gravity stance and a pumping motion.Longboards > generally call for a stance with the feet closer together and an upright > posture.Instead of pumping the board you kinda turn it on the rail and > trim the thing.One of the biggest problems I see is that a lot of guys > just don’t stand far enough back on the tail.A friend of mine was having > this problem so I put a piece of tape on the board and told him stay in > that area to turn.It really helped him out…Interesting > stuff…R.B. RB I have always said that we need to ride both LB and SB to understand design. That’s why the shaper who can ride anything with a open mind is the master of his craft… There are so many shapers out there today that never even rode a single fin and many never even rode a LB… There are shapers that never rode shortboards but understand theory. So my point is who do we look to when building our boards??? The Vet’s the old but wise “Swaylocks”… Thank God for Mike and his vision to build us a forum of age old craftsmen…

…Maybe I’m wrong???..>>> Paul …I am different there’s no doubt.I guess you would have to see me ride.I can take my Supercharged 8-1 or on the flip side my S.C. 6-1 and pump thru sections faster than anyone.Or,just cruise them in the pocket or whatever like Gerry Lopez.I have no trouble taking off behind a 10’ longboarder with good skills and beat him at his own game.Herb …Soon,I will have to prove it to a bigger crowd(the ones that know,KNOW)

…I have the best of both worlds,and giggle at the thought,knowing I do.Herb

Slightly over 1 year ago my son was surfing Oceanside pier and broke my favorite longboard. It was a 9’0" Pure Fun HPLB with a 2/1 set up. I took it back to Hank to shape me another just like it. During the time that it took to get the new one I surfed one of my single fin longboards. When the new board was finished it worked great, however it seemed that I couldn’t get it to really release, there was the feeling that there was too much drag. It turned and rode well but it did not have the speed and drive like the single fin board. After trying many different trifin types and combinations I ended up using one fin in this board. Now I am riding it with a 9" Fins Unlimited single. The drag is gone, the turns are good and it seems to be much faster. I plan on continuing the experimentation with fin types and confirurations but feel that the single fin long board is really the best choice. Jon

Jon You now know why longboards with single fins surf better… You felt it!!! Glad to hear that you have made the switch…

You now know why longboards with single fins surf better… You felt it!!!>>> Glad to hear that you have made the switch… Rob, Thank you for a great thread. I picked up many great ideas and nuggets of insight from everyone that contributed. Jon

I’ve reached a point in my life where I choose not to have to prove anything to anyone…Those who know me understand that…I let what I do stand on it’s own…Life is good…Merry Christmas… Paul http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/Detailed/397.html

I’ve reached a point in my life where I choose not to have to prove > anything to anyone…Those who know me understand that…I let what I do > stand on it’s own…Life is good…Merry Christmas… Paul …Don’t take my word for it,just ask some of the guys here that I’ve turned on to the Superchargers,you can also archive alot of responses. …Actually quite impressive for such a minor change in board design. …Lessons from history!!!..Thomas A. Edison went in front of the board of scientists in France,just before the turn of the 20th century.He presented a machine that reproduced sound(voices).The board told him that he was a sham and that sound could NEVER be reproduced by MACHINE.THE BOARD ALSO STATED; the man controlling the machine was a ventriloquist. …This machine would later be known as the phonograph.Herb

…Don’t take my word for it,just ask some of the guys here that > I’ve turned on to the Superchargers,you can also archive alot of > responses.>>> …Actually quite impressive for such a minor change in board design. …Never said your trip isn’t legit…I’m on my own path…My life experiences have led my quest to where it is now, and the future changes daily… …More power to you on your own way, and keep on sharing, your good…Just don’t throw your shoulder out patting yourself on the back… Paul http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/Detailed/397.html

…Never said your trip isn’t legit…I’m on my own path…My life > experiences have led my quest to where it is now, and the future changes > daily…>>> …More power to you on your own way, and keep on sharing, your > good…Just don’t throw your shoulder out patting yourself on the back…>>> Paul …I can’t, too many shoulder surgerys. …glad you have found your own path to walk…have a Merry Christmas,Paul…someday when I’m not spending money hand over fist on my family, if you would be kind enough,and willing,I would like you to build me a kit or a complete hollow board,maybe somewhat to my specs if possible.Herb

someday when I’m not spending money hand over > fist on my family, if you would be kind enough,and willing,I would like > you to build me a kit or a complete hollow board,maybe somewhat to my > specs if possible.Herb …I’ll make you a deal on a hollow ‘blank’…You shape the rails and get to glass it…No hurry though…What size you have in mind??..I’m about to start a mid 7’er…new gluing forms, rocker template, ribs…Built to ride… Paul http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/Detailed/397.html

…I’ll make you a deal on a hollow ‘blank’…You shape the rails and get > to glass it…No hurry though…What size you have in mind??..I’m about > to start a mid 7’er…new gluing forms, rocker template, ribs…Built to > ride…>>> Paul, …You must be a mind reader… …I was thinking about a 7’4" - 7’6" rounded pin ,singlefin,kind of like a Tom Parrish Lightning Bolt of the 70s era “a Town Gun” as we called it back when.I would have to ride it once and awhile,but it definitely would be a show piece…someday,soon, I’ll see your work,craft,art in the magazines…Herb

Jon, the great thing about working with single fins (assuming you like the concept) is that you can experiment for the rest of your life with only two variables…the fin, and the fin placement. With tris you have the added complexity of center and rail fin relative placement, and rail fin cant and toe-in. This pretty much limits the serious development work to super-serious indie-surfers, builders and team riders. There’s too much to deal with for most individuals. There isn’t enough time or waves. The best way to approach single fins is to accumulate a collection of fins over time, and slowly get to know the characteristics of each one. Then a new board becomes the only thing that is new. The fins are old friends you can pop in and out as you see fit.

Hey Tom, Maui was great! Honalua Bay was just going off when we were there…A little too intense with the size of the waves and the size of the crowd. We found a break at a park just south of La’hiena (spl?) that was sooo much fun and less crowded however not as big. Overall the trip was better than last year. We got in some snorkeling that was so neat, even swam with the turtles at Ahihi bay. (didn’t see any sharks thank goodness). Did you get the Email I sent 12/24/02? I hope you and your family had a wonderful christmas. Jon