Twin fin, extra plug creating drag ?

Hi guys my names Michael Triscari, i live in North West Australian and have just started a shaping company in the town i live, I’ve shaped and glassed around 50 boards, so I’m still a massive rookie and advice is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Recently i shaped a 5’2, 20’, 21/2 twin fin for my partner. The board has me puzzled, on the rail it feels amazing but as soon as your going in a straight line the thing drags and you feel as if you need to place all your weight on the front and unusually high up the board to get it going. Originally i glassed fins in but felt like the fins were way to far back so i added a extra plug in front each of the top plugs so i could move the fin a couple inches forwards still using one of the existing plugs.

I’m wondering if the dormant fin plug sitting exactly where the back of the fin meets then board could be creating the drag ( breaking like feeling in straight line) . I wouldn’t think so but it feels as if the water pushes straight off the fin into the whole of the plug and creates drag. I’ve made a very similar shape to this board before but a 5’4 and it goes great no problems, no odd lumps in shape concave or rails what is going on hmm !?

Sounds more like a rocker issue to me with too much rocker. I dont make retro fishes so hopefully someone else will chime in, could also be a fin size/placement issue but sounds like rocker is main culprit to me.

Put some clear Cellophane packing tape over the rear plug’s hole, and go surfing. If the drag issue DOES NOT DISAPPEAR, then the problem is not the plug. Are your fins set at an extreme toe angle? Let us know what happens.

One more for rocker being the issue. Where is the apex of the curve? How much tal rocker are you putting into the board? Another thought is the you might have too much tow on the fins creating drag.

I didn’t read any mention of the FINS. You have a removable fin system, if you’re running single foil try double foiled or vice versa. Different templates etc.

thanks for the reply!!!
Fins set in recommended distance from swallow, under foot, with 3 degree of rake and only about 2mm of of toe and a inch from the rails.

I will try tape and report back! also will post some pictures of rocker and fin placement.

My first thought was “too much toe”.
Although rocker could easily be the culprit.
I doubt it’s your vacant finplug.

Figuring out fin placement, 4WFS is your friend.

Hey do these photos help ?

I still doubt it’s the plug…
Rocker doesn’t look too bad although it looks a little apexy between the feet… I don’t think that’s the problem.

Tell us about those fins…
I am not a fan of that fin template at all but I don’t think that’s the problem either…

Who made them?
Single or double foiled?
Might you have them in on the wrong side?

Also, if you run a straight edge along the inside of the fins, where does the line go off the nose?

The photos don’t help me much cuz this is what they look like on my phone…

Hard to tell from the photos, but if you are running big vee in the tail area you have to go low with rocker otherwise the board will be slow.

Looks like you have vee but photos can be deceptive to the eye.

I also agree that rocker looks a bit too apexy between the feet

Apexy!!!

A swaylocks original term - love it!

I took a good look at your photos and as I have shaped quite a few of these small fish, here’s my 2c. You said the board surfs ok on the rail so it’s not the rail rocker. (Plan rocker) The extra plug won’t make a damn bit of difference to down the line speed. I make speed-dialer boards that some guys ride with just front fins in and the rear boxes empty and they go fast. From one of the pics, it looks like you might have concave or an uneven bottom with a bump. That would definitely slow down the board when it goes to flat. Vee, not a problem with fish, most benefit from it as it speeds up rail to rail cutbacks, although keep in mind that fish are not noted for cutbacks! I would suggest that you put the board bottom up on your shaping racks, get two pieces of identical (length, width, etc.) straight material like lumber or whatever you are using for a rocker stick, and place them a couple inches to either side of the stringer. Make sure they are reading the same at the nose and touching the bottom in the same spot. Measure the bottom depth every 6” and I bet you will find your bump. Just remember when you do your next fish that they like a flat bottom and down rails to get that skateboard feeling. Do one with the same dims as a twin and as a quad/speed-dialer and see which one your customers like better on your local surf. These boards are fun to shape and once you get it down, pretty quick to make also. This video will show you how a twin fin should surf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxZxwo9tfHQ
Watch Conner, not Wilko…. Just my 2c from an old fish head!

Nice clip on those Keel fin fish at J Bay. That’s the kind of Surfing I like. Big beautiful sweeping turns with a mix of experimental moves and playful joy.