Twin fin fin placements?

I have shaped my self a 5’11" x 19.25" x 2.75" winged swallowtail twinny but having trouble finding out obout fin placements for these type of boards. a Quick and helpfull responce would be great. Olly

From my experiences somewhere around 9" up from the tail is a good reference point to start from. Since yours has wings, you’d probably want to put the fins within and inch or so forward of the wings 1"-1 1/4" from the rails. Here’s a pic of a recent Mark Richards remake. I’ve placed fins on different spots on the blank to give me an idea where the best place would be before marking them. Usually if it is pleasing to the eye, its a good place to set the fin. The book, Essential Surfing by George Orbelian has a section on board design that includes detailed dimensions (widths, thicknesses, rocker,fin placements etc.) of a variety of boards (mostly from the 80’s when the book was published). Its a great book to refer to.

Quote:

I have shaped my self a 5’11" x 19.25" x 2.75" winged swallowtail twinny but having trouble finding out obout fin placements for these type of boards. a Quick and helpfull responce would be great. Olly

Search the Archives.

What type of fins?

Show us a pic to assist quick response…

Thanks for the info and picture. I’m shaping a fish and was wondering about were to place the fins. I would like to use a wood fin with wide base, any thoughts ?

i’d go roughly 6-inches up from each of the points, and fairly straight and vertical