twin fin fish, fin placement wayyyyy back.

Hello there!

Wondering if anyone can answer on this subject. I just put my fin boxes in my blank and noticed that they were wayyy back. I didn’t think it through so much when I placed them as I was following an old template I had with the back of the fins at 5 inches from the tip of the tail, just went through with it. I now remember that when I did that other board a while back with that template, I adjusted the placement of the fin closer to 7-8 inches from the tail.

Board is 5’11"x21’x2 5/8"

When I placed the keel fins they look superr backward, like the tip of the fins are going to be pretty much aligned with the two tips of the fish tail. (they are 11.5" inches apart)

Does anyone have experience with such a setup? I’m thinking of leaving it like that. I reckon it should be close to a mini simmons setup where the fins are only a few inches from the back of the board.

Thanks!

Hi matriarch. Typical fin placement for a Lis type fish is rear edge of fin lined up with top of butt crack with the tips. Usually around 5 1/2 from tips and 1 1/2 off rail. That sounds too far back. You have to adjust for the wide base when putting in boxes. I’d move them forward. Mike

Or, you could add two more boxes in front and do a quad. I like the Pavel speed dialer fins in a SD type fish. Mike

Hi Mike,
thanks for the reply, Yeah they are def a bit too far back. I think what I’m going to do is try em like that. If it rides bad then I’ll just take the keels out and put glass on fins at the proper place…

I was just wondering though since a lot of single fins have the fins way back also, where the tip is pretty much at the end of the tail, same for mini Simmons which is more similar to a fish type board. Curious about other people’s experience with this kind of set up on a fish…

Cheers!

Marc