Twin fin thickness

Hi all, first post, more to come no doubt. I’m about to start shaping a 5’10ish retro fish, I’d like to glass some ply fins on and want to make it the best it can be obviously. Any thoughts on the best thickness fin for this type of board, I’ve made a brief prototype out of 9mm (3/8”) birch ply just to experiment on the process but would 6mm (1/4”)be better? Anyone able to shed any light on what may work best? Here’s pic of the 9mm prototype. 

Either will work.   

If you want to get tricky, scuff one side of your panel and apply a cheater coat, then come back and lay several layers of fiberglass before you template the fins.  Then when you foil the fins you’ll have a solid fiberglass backing and a strong halo.  

3/8. 

If you ask Bird - it’s not a fish unless those fins are double foiled. 

I will vote thicker for a twin fin.

Thick gives more grip and control at slower speeds say for late drops under the hook, and the added extra drag from thicker when at higher speeds, well its a twin fin, its going to be a freaking rocketship anyway. Twins are so twitchy and fast that some extra control from thicker is likely beneficial in most situations.

Its Easier to properly foil a thicker fin too, even though it is more work.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Looks like i’ll stick with the 3/8” then. Was looking at a set of my thruster fins earlier and noticed there quite heavily thinned out at the base on the trailing edge, so I might adjust the foiling a little more with that in mind. Can’t wait to get going with it now.