Twin tip Kite build

I’ve been learning to kite surf, thought I would build myself a twin tip, mostly learned off youtube.
Using Gurit PVC foam from Allnex, cut the outline, footstarp and fin inserts with a template and router.

Fill edge and footstrap/fin plug reinforcement with epoxy/q-cell mix.

Using profiler foiled the flat board, then shaped the rail.

Bagged it to rocker bed, top and bottom 4 layers of 6oz. Just plastic and breather on top, no peel ply hoping for a smooth finished and maybe no filler coat. We’ll see tomorrow…

marsh, i use same technique to make rc airplane. i use a mylar, a slightly stiff plastiv sheet, against lam for a glossy no sand finish. always ended with some micro bubbles here and there. then i use the real “industrial” bagging technique with peelply, perfply and bleeder: no more bubble really compacting lam low resin content, full rubbish , need works to finish but no more than hand lam. so for multi layers as you i bet you will have better results with all consommables.

The bottom of this board came out perfect not much to finish, the top needs some sanding and filler coat.

I’ve been having some success with innegra EPS vac’d boards, using all the consumables mentioned.

I’ll use them on the next one I guess.

Cheers.

Hi Marsh-
Thanks for the build thread. It’s fun to see some of the other water sports and their build methods and materials.

Bonjour Lemat-
I use peel ply (woven cloth) to make an evenly rough surface when there will be a second lamination and perf ply (plastic film with evenly spaces pin holes) when I want more resin on the surface for a finish.
Is this what you do? I have heard of people doing both plys same time but that seems counter-productive…or maybe I am missing out on something good?

this is exactly what i use for vac bag. perf ply is really important to keep resin in lamination. don’t use vac bag so much except for gluing wood or éventualy if i have to work with light fibers (carbon,kevlar etc) for parts that have to work in tensil stress.( i repair parts for bike). for glass and parts that work in flexion, vac bag is not effective.