Twinzer Discussion:

thanks for posting this. I bought the pdf of this whole interview. Interesting, but most of the talk is spent explaining the shortcomings of the high performance thruster, rather than talking to him about twinzers.  

I had an osmosis twinzer in 1993 made by Mark Leverage, hes in noosa now retired,

Im trying to make the fastest board on the planet again, this might be the extra sprinkl.

I can’t call this a “Twinzer” exactly.  Two single plugs set to the rear and just inside of the forward fins on what would be a normal Thruster set up.  Closer to a C-5 I guess.  I wanted a small pair of fins of the same foil, but had to settle on a Twinzer pair from Rainbow.  Lowel

Hey guys,

Making my 2nd Twinzer. One guy i respect wrote me this, totally different from the “flow over back fin” design…,

But this is not what I consider a REAL twinzer as the idea behind a twinzer is not to try and direct the water flow onto the back fin, instead it is to smooth out the twitchiness of a regular twin fin. This is one of the reasons the fin is so canted, it’s role is to serve as a transition onto the back fin and to smooth things out a little.

I exclusively ride twinzers on my boards and I have for many years now as they really loosen up a long board and give it a lot of speed. "

Probox Larry wrote about this too, with the front fins being canted at 18’ from flat horizontal [or box+extra]

Anybody out here tried this set-up?

Cheers

That’s an interesting take on the twinzer phenomenon that I have not heard before BUT makes perfect sense…

I have not tried the extreme cant on my twinzers.

I run 2* mains and 8* canards iirc and I LOVE that setup. YMMV 

I had one twinzer once.  I hated it.  And it was a Rusty.  I figured they knew how to build these things.  But after measuring, it was just a standard quad with the small fins forward. I’ll have to give this design concept another look.

We’ve seen some setups that consisted of a twin + bonzer runner mounted at the bonzer cant.   The comment was that they were more about carving than turning but I think that might be due to the long base chord and channel, not the cant.   

Like i said before, my favorite setup for a fish is a small keel + twinzer leader @ 10*.  You get all the drive of a keel except that it holds and is real controllable on your backside.  

how would the canard “smooth things”?

If things=water flow (to prevent cavitation), then that’s the same as directing water onto and pressurizing the main fin so that it doesn’t cavitate (= holds).  

I was lucky enough to speak w/ the man himself Wil Jobson in person, but our conversation never went to the purpose of a canard, unfortunately. 

My Jobson had fins up at 8.75" and canted at 11 degrees (canards) and 4 degrees (mains), but I have to make mine at 8" and 8/2 just to get the same kind of hold as his. His boards have a special hold that I have never felt in any other shaper’s twinzers. You can move the fins back to get hold, but then you lose the drive you get coming off a deep bottom turn that you get w/ fins further up. I’ve recently discovered this.  

Howzit ghosty, good to see you posting here.   Just curious: how do you like your griffin versus your best personal shape?  How do they compare ride-wise?  Did finishing and riding one of Greg’s designs affect your thinking about the design in general?  ( I figure it has to have on some level, but interested in your observations.).  You’ve been a pretty noteworthy advocate for twinzers.  

Chao.

Uncle? 

I gotta say that thru the years this thread or discussion of “Twinzer” fin set ups is one of the most enlightening discussions ever.  Lowel