Twinzer Discussion:

photo peter brouillet , from ? the 1980s? surfing mag …

i’ll see if i can locate the original [short] accompanying written piece to go with it

cheers

ben

i bought a 6’8" jobson twinzer at a garage sale for $30. that board was faster than any board i’d ever ridden- great for the beach break around here. it looks like the same type of board he’s holding in that picture. does the boards speed have something to do with the tail design? it seems like a pre bat-tail almost, it has a double concave starting a little behind center and a really channeled bottom going into the tail with those stinger points off the rails.

i tried to copy the board but with a squash tail and i used the future vector II fins, didnt feel the same at all.

hi !

do you still have the board ?

and , if so , any chance of a photo , and the rest of the dimensions , please ?

[i would be particularly keen to see / get the fins dimensions and positionings…]

cheers !

ben

i do still have the board, i hardly ever ride it anymore, its de-laming and fallin apart- ill get around to fixin it up one of these days. ill give dimensions tomorrow- chip i sent pm about board

Man O Man … we need fin placement spec’s on that as well !!!

W

Great thread!

I think Wil Jobson did some shaping under Manny’s Mandala label a while back. Here are a few shots from mannys website of Wil’s battail boards with the new neomorph fin set up.

Could not uppload the shots so I put them in my photobucket page:

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/easternbull/

Read somewhere that Wil has also done some shaping for Arrow surfboards, any info on if he is haping anymore these days and where?

Cheers Sami

Wil is about 63 years old and been shaping forever. Manny Caro started about 5 years ago and is maybe 30 years old. They are more like sensei and grasshopper than Wil shaping under Manny’s label.

I also got the sense that Jobson never applied himself to become a successful businessman/shaper. Finding him and getting him to do a board is tough…but he is a skinny dude in his 60s who still surfs boards under 6 ft long.

Those Mandala/Jobson boards pics show Wil’s newer Twinzer fins. The rail fins have twist in them - more toe-in at the base than in the upper section by two degrees. Wil conceived of them, laid them up, foiled them, glossed them, glassed them on, and surfed them in the same day. Wil was calling them the neomorph fins. It was very interesting to me because I saw Halcyon’s twist fins in the 18 months prior to that, and I was pretty sure they came up with the same idea independently (the twist fins). I am also pretty sure Halcyon and Wil communicated a lot and/or worked on fin stuff together while Wil was back in SC.

Periodically you can find Wil in his RV in the back of Michel Junod’s shop in Santa Cruz. Mostly he’s been up north at his mom’s… but he appears now and then.

ok everyone here are the pics and specs of the jobson twinzer: 6’8"x11"(nose)/19"/14"x2 3/4"

fin placement is as follows:

tail to back of rear fin: 8.5"

tail to front " " " : 13.5"

stringer to back of rear fin: 4.5"

stringer to front of rear fin: 4.25"

tail to back of small fin: 12.5"

tail to front " " " : 15.5"

stringer to back of small fin: 5.75" (no toe in on small fin)

the base of the large rear fin is 4.5" and the height is 5.5"

the base of the small fin is 2.5" and the height is 3.25"

here are some pics:

Just one man’s opinion, but this board (classic, relic, call it what you will) deserves a pro restoration, I’m sure it’ll surf a dream it get the attention it’s do.

Too bad you’re not in Santa Cruz, mate.

Back to the fin shop, Rich

Hey LasOlas,

Thank you so very very much … exceeded all expectations !!!

I have volumes and volumes of spec’s on Hynson style Twinzer and having just finished a batch of orders was ready to start on a personal project, (Twinzer) for myself … until this thread started re “Jobson”.

We just don’t see any of it over here and it makes experimenting / guess work really tough

Damn, even have kept “Halcyon’s” commentries on twinzers going back three years on other forumns

Just wondering if you could please measure the distance from the rear fin tips to rail edges, would be very much appreciated

Before I go, your storing a massive fleet of boards in the garage old mate, how do you decide who goes to play !!

and by the way weight bench’s work better when you use them (lol)

Take care old mate and once again thank you !!

W

Halcyon, my learned friend !! (lol)

Was just about to start a Twinzer, (for myself) before this and other thread you started came along. (all good)

There seems to be two styles of twinzer the fish style, Jobson and the more standard plan shape style, as per Mabile.

What type of bottom configeration best suit these little monsters, single/double concaves, combination of both, vee’s and let’s not forget rocker styles ???

Everyone seems to focus on “FINZZZZZZZZZZ” (lol), but man I have to get the rest of the board done as well (lol)

I’ve kept alot of your posts re these animals from sway’s and other place’s from years back but have nothing on the above.

And by the way will review your other post and get back to you re “FINZZZZZZZ” (lol)

Love to hear back old mate !!

W

PS Agree with restoration idea on Will’s 6’8"

Here are some words of wisdom (exerpts) from G Loehr a while back here on this forum:

A Twinser creates a slot effect thereby keeping the angle of incidence (others call this “angle of attack” which also isn’t really right) constant on the main fin. This virtually eliminates ventilation (spin out or stall) of the main fin. It is VERY effective at this and also creates more fin power by increasing flow speed through the slot.

Actually vane is a much better term than canard for a twinser. There is a difference between a vane and a canard. A canard doesn’t create a slot effect as a vane does. A canard keeps the wing from stalling by not allowing the main foil to reach a stall angle. A vane’s slot effect keeps the foil from stalling by keeping the angle of incidence stable to the leading edge of the wing. A vane creates more power through the slot as well. In sailing a main and a jib are examples of slot effect and they create more power than the same square footage would if it were just a single sail. So technically a twinser isn’t a canard. It’s a vane.

Boy, that’s a really good post.

greg

; )

I just wanna mention Coanda here, and I want to link back to the post from the other thread where I linked a vid showing a fighter plane with a canard wing and an F1 wing with slotted multi-elements,

but I’m lazy

Here are some ideas for shaping your board:

Know there are so many details that I can’t possibly cover them all so I’ll stick to the basics and go with some approximations of the way Wil does things.

Nose rocker is very reminiscent of modern short boards

Tail rocker is relaxed from what a thruster would be usually about 3/4". Nose width is generally slightly wider by 1/2" or so.

Wide point is generally very close to center.

Maximum board thickness a little forward of the wide point.

For boards designed for smaller waves Wil generally moves the wide point back and forward for larger waves.

Rails on his boards tend have a bit of boxey look. He likes his boards to ride high in the water and have lots of release.

Know that these are all generalizations because Wil has many secret ways of formalizing where he places all the contours on his boards and where the fins will be placed. The guy is a fluid mechanics genius and can talk the talk believe me.

Decks tend to be somewhat flat with the board thickness held out toward the rails.

The bottom transitions from a slight roll in nose rocker section that carries back to a little forward of center.

The tail has very mild vee that has what Wil calls helical concaves. These concaves tend to coil out into the tail shape and drive the board out the channel that runs between the fangs in the tail.

Fin placement will vary from board to board. The trailing edge will generally be between 9 and 10 inches from the tail.

The vane or canard as you will will be parallel to the trailer and the trailing edge about 1 1/2 forward of it and an 1 1/4 out board of the line of the trailer. Fin placement depends very much on the outline of the board and tail width.

Wil cants the main fin 2 degrees and the canard 10 degrees.

No Worries, Rich

I have one of Wil’s boards. It is probably the easiest board to surf I own. I can’t say when he’ll return from Whitbey Island but as far as I’m concerned the sooner the better.

No Worries, Rich

Halycon,

im not too far away from SC, i have had vince do a few of my glass jobs on the ranch and met wil in passing once before. i was really hoping to go out and talk to him and if im lucky watch him shape a board or two.

i got the board at a garage sale and it was pretty beat up. i fixed it up a bunch and it rode great until i brought it out on a well overhead day at ocean beach and buckled it, causing the damage you can see on the nose in the pics. nothing is too major, the buckle is only slight and didnt do any damage to the stringer. it wouldnt be hard to fix, when i get the time ill do it up right.

Foamhead- will do the measurement, im out of town at the moment (and still glued to swaylocks) but when i get back ill post the info. the weight bench is used to wax boards more than exercise-ha ha, and all of those boards in the back are my shapes except the HIC and the big haut in the back, most get ridden regularly.

before i go, blakestah, is manny on this forum? are you manny? i live around the corner from molusk and have been trying to get ahold of him for months now, just had some random questions for him. if you know where or how to reach him please pm me. thanks

Hey Halcyon,

Yeah, that’s a good eye opener / introduction … many many thanx

Now to crawl back into my lab / garage and absorb it all.

Worst thing I did was look at the board you put together and posted on the other thread … it’s frying my head, bloody nice !!!

analysis paralaysis is starting to set, when i’ve totally surcome to figure daze … I’ll dial back into you for some antibiotics

many thanx old mate, talk soon

W

Hi LasOlas,

Muchly appreciated on those measurements … my heads frying at the moment and just want to get one done, (but properly)

I know what you mean about the weight bench, my one now gets used as a bar stool for end of day beers

Happy dayzzzz

W

Hey LasOlas …

Back in town ??

Appreciate those measurements if you are !!!

Drop us a line old mate

Many thanx

W

hey foamhead, sorry 'bout the lag, been really busy and kinda spaced. the measurement you requested: rear fin tip to rail edge is 5.5", sorry dont have a tool to measure the exact angle. hope this helps. if you want more info pm me.

e