Unique materials. Hemp weave

I watched this video of the legendary Ricky Carroll shape a 11’6 waimea gun on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uwq2MIMuvI

At 2:30 he starts laminating the rails with this weave material that I have never seen before.

Has anyone seen this stuff? What is it? Is it vacuum bagged on?

Looks like he's using woven palm. I used if for deck patches on a few boards. It's flexible and relatively lightweight. I vac bag in on....

[img_assist|nid=1046631|title=woven palm deck|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=0|height=0]

~Brian

www.greenlightsurfsupply.com

Sorry, haven't been able to post full sized pics for a while. It always shows as 100 x 50 px.....

[img_assist|nid=1046631|title=woven palm deck|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=0|height=0]~Brian

Brian, D you have any woven palm that I can buy off greenlightsurfsupply.com?

How much is the stuff worth per yard?

Wow, that is a beautiful board.

It is a really beautiful board. I am trying so hard to get hold of this palm weave.

Hey Jonnyshaper,

Not sure how much woven palm I have left. When I get back into the shop I'll let you know. Should definitley be enough to lam rails but I don't know if there's enough for a deck patch.

Take it easy

~Brian

Hi Brian,

Yeah I only want to laminate the rails like in the video, Except its for a 5’9 not a 11’6. How much is it? Did you get yours for personal projects or to sell in your store? If its just a personal project and not something you sell where do you get yours from?

Do you lam with epoxy?

Thank afoaf. The woven palm is beautiful isn’t it. I just have to hope that Greenlightsurfsupply have enough cloth.

can you get hemp cloth wherever it is you live , jonny ?

i ask , because  we have plenty here , in west oz.

From what i can see in that photo ,  the woven palm looks a similar colour ?

cheers

ben

...i don't know if you can do 'advanced search' on swaylocks any more [??] , but there should be a fair bit of stuff on hemp , hemp fins , and the like , under either my current username , or the previous [chipfish61] ...i hope this helps ?