Unofficial Asymmetrical Board Design Forum

Thanks Barry (love your boards btw)!

I did the nose that way, to further reduce swingweight and prevent the nose from catching water. It does that job, but indeed the outline makes the board “sink” to the right. I tried to shift my own weight while paddling, but the board is too wide (23") to get my arms around. That’s why the next board will be a bit narrower.

Barry,

its a stringerless eps … 5’4 x 22.5 x 2.5

mini simmons template from the wide point forward on both sides. toe side (wide point back, mini simmons) heel side (widepoint back egg template)

quad on the heel side and right now it just has a larger tri side fin on the toe side.  I’m thinking a keel would probably suit that side better.   What do you think?

Originally planned to have a symmetrical quad fin placement but when i brought it to be glassed I let him do what he thought would be best as it is my first attempt at an asymm.

Yes, could also be the cause. I pushed the twinfin on the heelside towards the nose. The board is really a brute experiment to see how far it can go. As long as it can get me into the wave (I am a skinny guy, so don’t need much volume). It works beyond my expectations when surfing, but I need a lot more time in the water with it to find the sweet spots. Unfortunatly we only get around 1-2 average days of surfs a month in the northsea. Taking it to Portugal thursday however! Might have some photos and vids in 2 weeks …

being this is my first asymmetrical fin configuration and that I haven’t been able to ride it yet; can anyone state whether or not the board will track to one side or another due to the asymmetry?   thanks

I gotta try this someday.  Anything that could make my backside better.  However, I feel like the opposite of this below.  Frontside I can ride anything funky and make it work.  For backside the closer the board is to HPSB the better t works for me

TOE SIDE

longer, straighter, fish like, thinner, narrower, keel fin, less toe in, Quad-Fin with a flatter fish style rocker, twin fin set-up. Thin tail, narrower longer forehand line - ‘gunnier’

HEEL SIDE

curvier, shorter, quad fin, thicker, wider, softer rail, more toe in, less tail rocker, tri-fin with more rocker, wider and pivotier; one that cuts back better

Here is my theory.

Some see it different.

http://www.barrysnyderdesigns.com/asymmetrical-designs.html

took this out for the maiden voyage today and it went real well… only complaint was that going frontside, the board tended to slide/slip out if I applied too much pressure bottom turning.

Do you think if I swapped the fin with a keel, it would hold/drive better?  Or is there any other suggestions?  Thanks.

Yes.

Bigger fin on the toe-side.

MR twin fin.

thanks barry,

the base of the fin i have now is approx 5 5/8" and the height is 5 1/2." That seems pretty close to the MR fin…maybe a keel would be better?

I rode a 6-8 version of this board with the long side on the toes and I really liked it. Rode it in solid 8+ foot faces and it was great. I like the winged swallow on the backside for the cutbacks, and top turns, and the loger rail on the frontside for longer drawn out turns. 

Might be not as pivotal with the keel do to its longer base.

Never know until you try.

Experimentation is what’s it all about.

Keep it up!

Thanks…i’m going to try out a few variations.

Thanks for all the sharing.

I tested my board in Portugal and it worked perfect. Getting into shape a bit and had no problems with the strange paddling I felt at first. On the backside it flies and I did some of the best cutbacks I have ever done (coming from a longboard background and transitioned to mini simmons type boards).

The twin keels are definitely more than fin enough to handle waves in the 1-3 foot range. I don’t know if a quad on the heelside gives more added value in smaller waves. It seems like too much fin to me and the whole deal is to keep it loose on the backside.

I have a previous, pretty much unused, mini simmons board that I can cut up, so I will change the tail and nose and put in some extra finboxes and see how it works. 

hiya  Harry !

do you have a similar [full length] photo of the bottom , and what fin setup[s]  you used , please , mate ?

cheers !

ben

Just wondering if anyone would like to comment on what is the idea behind Mr Burch’s nose outlines

(I tried asking the fella, but he has prolly got more exciting things to do than stare at a computer)

He’s goofyfooted and the tail outline is fairly conventional, drawn out twinny in the toeside and a curvy quad on the heel.

But, the nose outline is curvy and pulled in on the toeside and very straight on the heelside. In fact, I see what he has done for the centre board; just reversed the template… cheeky!

5’6/5’4 x 19 1/2

Patient

US3337886 *

Aug 6, 1965 Applied

Aug 29, 1967

Carl Ekstrom Adolph

Asymmetrical surfboard

finally got around to getting this glassed; im looking forward to giving it a go.

Thanks to bsnyder for the fin placement help.

in my world is the turniest setup twin, then twin with trailer then thruster and maybe quad at the same level, depends on sizes.

so I dont get all these setups, toe side twin, heelside quad. I would go oposite…

Well, I wish I had jumped in on this earlier, but I never really used the Swaylocks account I openned. Burch is a good friend of mine, and has shaped me several of them, usually painfully, as I am hopelessly undecisive and very picky. I’ll put up some pics, what does everyone want to see the most? His shaping evolves very fast, so my boards represent more of what I have seen and been able to try while he’s been home over the past few years. I’m trying to figure out what to do for the next batch, and I’m glad to find this thread, as there are some interesting ideas.

You can also find more recent stuff on his tumblr: http://bobbersandsinkers.tumblr.com/ or his instagram, handle is something like bobandsink

In regards to the flipped nose/tail (round one side, swallow other) the point is to get a longer rail line further up the board backside for late takeoffs/grabbing rail while keeping the nose pulled in on the toeside. Also because it looks nice. That usually has a good bit of influence. Ryan thinks a lot about every aspect, and is able to intuitively visual the physics of a design, but some are just pure experiments grounded in curiosity.